Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Might be heading yall's way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Might be heading yall's way.

Hi to all. Just wanted to say that we may be heading up that way in a month or so....may be sooner. Wife is a Nurse Traveler and looking at a contract in Kearney. Is there any fishing close to there? If not within about 25 miles of there, will prolly leave the boat here in florida. Do you do any good during the summer months? Is it mostly night stalking??? Man. I got a bunch of ?'s. Maybe one of you top (and I am NOT trying to start a fight among yall) fishermen would give me a pm and get my number so we could talk for a bit. Never been in your area, cept passin thru, and looking forward to being in a new fishing venue.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.

Post Thanks / Like

You are everywhere. Is it safe to say that she works and you are retired, or a stay on lake husband? SOLH, I'm going to patent that.

Post Thanks / Like

Wife is a travel nurse and we take contracts all over the states. In the past 6 years we have been from Vermont to plam springs, from anchorage to florida and a lot of places in between. MY job, is really simple.....most of the time. I do the cooking, shoping, boat driving and find a place to stay where ever we head to, and all she has to do is put in 3 tweleve hour shifts a week. Have pulled a center console Kenner enough that the trailer has more miles on it than most peoples car. Did not take it to alaska, but has been most every where else.
    My reward is being able to fish all over the country. Never fished NE before and kind of looking forward to learning new techniques. Funny thing is that almost every area, people fish differently. If I fished here in florida like I do in Texas, would not catch much. At least where ever we go, I have a lot of different ways to try. Same tackle mostly, just presented differently.
    Well, as the song goes, thats my story and I'm stickin to it. With all that said, is there any good crappie fishin in the Kearney area?? If not, not going to pull the boat on this trip.
    Dusty

Post Thanks / Like

Huuummmmm, must not be any good fishing in that area. Yall take care.
    Dusty

Post Thanks / Like

25 miles might be a bit of a challenge in ne. if you look on a map, north is sherman res.; pretty good lake. i once caught a 9lbs walleye there while crappie fishing. south is harlana county res. another good multi-species lake. west you've got johnson lake. further is sutherland res. and finally lake mc conaughy. all good lakes but a bit of a drive. close by kearney are a strting of small lakes along i80. haven't fished them though. if i were you i'd look on the nebraska game and fish website. they're pretty informative. i think this ne website is generally pretty slow. don't think its personal. good luck. the platte river valley is a great place to be. dw

Post Thanks / Like

OK, thanks for the reply dwaw. Looking forward to being in that area.....if we get the contract. Things are still up in the air with negotiations on pay rate and housing rate, but will get in here and say if we are coming or not. Once again, even though your from VA, thanks for the response.
    Dusty

Post Thanks / Like

you're welcome. actually i'm a nebraskan living in va. wishing i were back there.

Post Thanks / Like

Only time I have been in NE was back in the 70's. A group of friends went up to bird hunt in huge fields of hemp the gov had planted during wwII. All the birds were so full of seeds, they could hardly fly. Never got a chance to fish though and looking forward to trying to get some. Would like to get into some walleye too. Caught some of those in NY a few years back and they are really tastey.
    Dusty

Post Thanks / Like

if you look just west of north central ne, 26 miles southwest of valentine, there's merritt res. great fishing. multii species. worth the drive the other gerat fishing occurs through the ice. walleye, northern, bass, crappie, bluegills, and perch. again, the sandhills is worth the trip. if what you say about the pheasants is true, its not that they couldn't fly, its just that they didn't care to fly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaw View Post
    if you look just west of north central ne, 26 miles southwest of valentine, there's merritt res. great fishing. multii species. worth the drive the other gerat fishing occurs through the ice. walleye, northern, bass, crappie, bluegills, and perch. again, the sandhills is worth the trip. if what you say about the pheasants is true, its not that they couldn't fly, its just that they didn't care to fly.
    This is true: A phesant will run as long as it has cover. When it runs out of cover is when it will take to the air, or if you are using a dog they will fly sooner. A trick they do here is when they get up they will fly at you and go between a couple of hunter so you can't shoot. I have seen this many times.
    There is several good lakes around Kearney but are a bit further than 25 miles. It would be well worth bringing your boat with you.
    The Cabela's store at Kearney is the second store of the chain that originated at Sidney, Ne. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast