Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair Jigs - A little help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hair Jigs - A little help

For those of you who tie you own hair jigs, I could use some advise on one aspect that I haven't figured out yet. When using fishair the tail end of the jig is relatively flat and blunt. How do you finish the tail so that it is the desired length and not flat or blunt? I have been experimenting but haven't found a way that I like to get the tail tappered and feathered yet.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I fully understand your question...but if I do, I'd say after you tie them on, you trim the hairs you don't like with some sharp scissors. Alot of times, if you clip deer hair off a buck tail, you won't have to trim them at all...the ends close to the hide go forward and are covered with the thread...the other ends are tapered already...I guess the deer liked them that way too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbatical
    Not sure I fully understand your question...but if I do, I'd say after you tie them on, you trim the hairs you don't like with some sharp scissors. Alot of times, if you clip deer hair off a buck tail, you won't have to trim them at all...the ends close to the hide go forward and are covered with the thread...the other ends are tapered already...I guess the deer liked them that way too.
    Sure, that's the way it is with the real buck tail I'm using, but with the synthetic fishair I'm using it is 2.5" long. So, I can get 2 jigs out of each length. When I cut it and tie to the hook the tail end is blunt. I'm looking for a better way to feather the tail end. These ends are blunt.

Last edited by Darryl Morris; 01-11-2006 at 07:40 PM.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another thought...Have you tried just adding smaller amounts in batches? That way the second batch is longer than the first and you can get a tapered look out of "stair stepped" fur.

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't you just bend the hair in half once tied and clip the end a small bit. Once straightened out, it should be tapered.
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl, if you use kip tails (colored calf tails), you will get a lot better finish on your tails. When you cut the desired length, they are feathered and the lengths are tapered just right. LOL Later R & &
    "Just one more drop of my Jig"

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl- Look on the Arkansas thread and you will find the answer to your question there. Now that I see the picture I know that is your problem. Just use the hair I am telling you about and you will do great. Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Why are you using fishair instead of deer hair? All the best hair jigs I've used have been real deer hair. The real hair fans out when its wet and makes for beautiful slow retrieves. I find the artificial hair is too limber and bunches together in the water like marabou jigs and doesnt have that parachute effect as much. I wish I could remember the name of the jigs I used to buy. It was a local company that is no more. They looked roughly like these but with a bit less hair. http://www.furryfishbaits.com/spoonjigs.htm The hair was quite stiff and they way they tied it on made it fan out. Those bitsy wobble jigs look great. I might have to order some. I think the trick isn't tapering the hair but making it fan out. I'm sorry I don't know the tying trick. Just an observation.

These look interesting. watch the video http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...011&hasJS=true
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Grizz' There are trade off's on all materials we can use for jigs or flies. There are trade off when using Bozo Hair or Fishair. Bozo being much limper and will come to a point after it is tied of. Regular fish hair will be stiffer and you will not be able to get it to a point or should I say staggered?
    Bucktail or deer hair will not be as soft and will not move as well as the Bozo hair. The Bucktail will sink slower because deer hair is hollow. Bucktails are not as hollow but will be stiffer and sink slower as you say. You can also get other materials to sink and fan out a little by tying a little more material on the sides instead of the top and bottom of a small jig.
    You have to decide on if you want more movement or a slower sink rate? One thing a person can do to get a slower sick rate is to super glue a small piece of foam to the hook shank under the tailing material on the bottom side of the hooks shank. You can somewhat adjust the sink rate on small crappie jigs doing this. I have an old fellow that I tie some of these up for and he loves them.
    Calftail,s are good and work but they is not as limp as either Marabou, Bozo hair or Rabbit hair. It is good though as it is kinky and has a natural shine to it.

If you are having problems with the Marabou on small crappie style jigs clumping togeather I would suggest they are being tied wrong. Most people when using marabou put on way to much to start with. Not Good. Another trick if you want it to really get movement is to just use the last 1/4 of the feather on a jig. Also when doing this cut out the stem about 1 inch down inside the feather from the tip. This will take out the short fibers and the stem which will not let the Marabou work as well in the water. Like I said most people think when using Marabou that "If some is good more is better" Not so. Use less get more movement and more action on a small jig.

Tying jigs to get them to fish how you want them to is just a matter of trying different things until you find something that works for you. I have spent many many hours playing with materials over the last 40 years of doing this for a living and I am still learning. That is one reason I like fishing so much, there is always somrthing new for me to learn. Ron
    Last edited by MTM; 01-12-2006 at 04:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Darry, I know exactly what you are talking about. Thats why I only use fishhair on bigger jigs(1/4 - 3/8 oz). Rod&Reel is right, you will be much happier with the look and action of kip tail. 90% of my crappie jigs are kiptail. Add in a touch of flashbou accent(12-20 strands) of another color to set off your jig. I would also tell you to try Arctic fox hair as a replacement for marabou on smaller jigs(1/64 - 1/80 oz).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast