Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crankin?

Post Thanks / Like

Default crankin?

i just want some general info on using crankbaits. i have used them for bass but i always use jigs and minnows for crappie. I know people spider rig them and push them in the front and pull them out the back, but is it a real fish catcher stradegy or is it one of those things you do when you just get tired of fishin the same ole way and need a change? what are the best size and colors? i am only 24 and the past year since college i have really started speck fishing seriously. i grew up going with my dad and all we used were minnows and jigs and you couldnt make him try new things for all the money in the world, so now im ready to try new, less practiced methods. so give me some help guys.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

Strike King makes a tiny crankbait called the Itsy Bitsy Minnow. It's great for crappie and gills when they're shallow.

Post Thanks / Like

Bandit Lures makes crankbaits that are very popular with Crappie fishermen. Here is their website. Bandit Crankbaits

IMHO, the technique using crankbaits for crappie is one you use when you want to target bigger fish. You'll also attract a lot of trash fish like Black/Smallmouth Bass, White Bass and others.

Here are a few resources on trolling for Crappie;

Trolling for Crappie article

BPS Article on Crankbait Crappie

Midwest Crappie Show has several crankbait shows.

It's a fun tactic. I've only tried it a few times but plan on getting serious with it this Summer.

Post Thanks / Like

The advantage of pulling crank baits is the higher speeds you can go which will allow you to cover a lot more water. It's a great way to fish while you're learning a new body of water. Quite a few times I've snagged a crank bait on a submerged tree that I did not know was there only to go back and hit it with jigs and minnows and do quite well. You can pull cranks year round but most key in on the summer months. A lot of guys swear it's the best way to pick up big crappie. Most prefer the Bandit 300 series. (as do I) Here's a chart that will tell you how deep they will run compared to how much line you have out of 10lb test. I usually let out 50' of line which gets them down to a good summer depth.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

In the heat of the summer, crankbaits are deadly. If you go to the Mississippi board there is a thread called cranking 101, with over 500 replies, just about everything you need to know about trolling cranks is there.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

and it works north or south east or west, clear or muddy and them wiggle warts and bandits are real good, I only use two or three rods on Stockton Lake in Mo. but it works none the less and the more you read on the how to the better off you will be. I would offer up a hint or two, but it's already been said check the MISSISSIPPI board good read

Post Thanks / Like

thanks guys appreciate the help
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Post Thanks / Like

Go to "search" at the top of the page & type in "Pulling Cranks 101" without the "'s.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER