Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: making jug lines/and weights

Post Thanks / Like

Default making jug lines/and weights

there are so many ways to put together a jug line what way/ways, types of materials work best for you and what style of weight/weights do you use? i usually use some kind of jug and then use yogart cups filled with cement with a loop of wire for a place to tie the jug
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Josh,

I use to use 2 liter pop bottles filled with the expandable spray foam insulation. Now I use foam noodles that you can find at Wal-Mart or Bass Pro (like these). I'm not sure how big of catfish they'll hold, but I know a 23lb Flathead can't keep 'em under.

I rig my jugs with lines varying from about 8 to 20 feet. I use a large barrel swivel at the jug and a snap swivel at the hooks. Cats, especially Blues and Channels, love to twist, so you need swivels. Also, you may catch Channels and Flatheads near the bottom, but there is no telling where you'll catch the Blues. I've caught many of them at 3 feet deep over 25 fow. That's why I use varying line lengths.

I use 2 to 8 oz weights, depending on how much wind or current there is. I tie the weight at the end and then I make two droppers about 3 to 5 feet apart. I put snap swivels on these loops so I can quickly change out dull hooks. I use 5/0 to 8/0 Circle Hooks.

I like my jugs to move along with the wind or current. You'll cover more ground this way and find the active fish. I don't anchor my jugs out. I prefer to float along and watch 'em disappear. These catfish here came from my jugs. I use 10 and keep them in a 5 gallon bucket. It's a tight fit, but it keeps them somewhat organized!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jugs

Josh- I use monster pool noodles cut into 4 pieces,each is 15" long ($4). I use size 48 BRAIDED nylon cord ($7.99@Academy-392').2/0 or 3/0 barrel swivels($1.09/12),crosslock swivels size 1 ($2.09/12), 2/0 or 3/0 snap swivels (($1.09/12), 30# or 50# mono (7.99/1/4# spool), 30" of 3/4" schl 40 PVC / jug, 2 - 3/4" caps/jugs, 1 pc 3/8" rebar 12" long, 1 eye bolt or eye screw. 4/0 circle hooks, a package of "T" clips (65 cents/25 Home Depot))for putting in concrete, package of 20 oz.Solo cups. I don't think I missed anything. I can make a pool noodle jug complete for $5.00 and it has handled 25# blues, no sweat. If you want to see the finer points you can come by my office and inspect 1. The most difficult part of this is finding "monster" size noodles in bright colors. Some colors are better than others. Been there done that.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh,almost forgot, I use 1/2#, 1# and 2# concrete weights. They are cheap to make, work fine and cost approx 10 cents to make a 1# weight.

Post Thanks / Like

I did this and it was kinda fun! plus it can include a stop at Bass pro if your needing anything. About a half mile east on Reno from BPS theres a scrap metal business. I dont remember how much I spent but it wasnt much, I want to say maybe 5 bucks for all the scrap lead I needed to make 12 weights. "Borrow" a ladel from that kitchen drawer with all the kitchen tools thrown in it. Me not being married, this wasnt a problem! I had one of those small bags of matchlite charcoal, light it and get it going good. Put the ladel on the charcoal and put some of the lead in and it melts pretty fast. I have a hanger that i cut and bend into loops, while the lead is liquid, (the ladel is still on the charcoal ) using needle nose pliers i hold the loop in the lead, take the ladel out, have a bucket or small container of water ready and put the ladel in which emmediatly cools the lead solid, and with very little effort they pop right out and you have about a 2 lb wieght ready to go.
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothin like pullin up to a jugline and have it swim off or disappear to make a grownup man or woman giggle like a little girl.

Post Thanks / Like

Default making jug lines

It is impossible to find those monster pool noodles! Has anyone found any lately?

Peke

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, I can't find any monster noodles either. I keep checkin different Wallyworlds, Dollar Generals etc and no luck.

Post Thanks / Like

121st and Elm Walmart in Broken Arrow had them last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Default monster noodles

Thanks, DScon!

I'll check there!

Peke

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast