Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roosevelt is coming to life

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roosevelt is coming to life

After the heavy rains last spring the lake rose over 100 feet with vast amount of debris and new nutrients. The normal bite never took off as the fish were a little confused. We now huve a huge lake with new cover everywhere and the Crappie have started to school into the typical winter patterns that we love to troll through. We had 31 of these on Sunday (1-8-06) trolling JCJ jigs and BBC grubs over 40 feet of water. When the bite really gets going 100 fish days are the norm so come out and get them if you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Those are some dandies

We'll be back fishing around here before long. Our winter hasn't been to bad so far. We've had some 50 degree days lately but we've had 30mph winds along with them. Where I like to fish(main lake) gets mighty rough even in my boat.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Cholla Jigs
    After the heavy rains last spring the lake rose over 100 feet
    Wow that must be one deep lake, I'd like to see that dam.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    Wow that must be one deep lake, I'd like to see that dam.
    Here you go...
    http://www.usbr.gov/dataweb/dams/az10317.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Hey JCJ:

Nice looking crappie! I sent you a PM.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

TAE73 maybe JCJ was talking about over 100 feet all total. He might not have meant 100 more feet over the amount it already was. I know that seems like alot if it was 100 more feet, but surely not impossible especially by looking at the pic of the dam.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieseeker
    TAE73 maybe JCJ was talking about over 100 feet all total. He might not have meant 100 more feet over the amount it already was. I know that seems like alot if it was 100 more feet, but surely not impossible especially by looking at the pic of the dam.
    Not a miss print, the lake rose over 100 feet. Many years ago they added to the dam to create a larger lake but to do so they had to lower the level vastly. Then the drought years and it lowered even more. Crappie fishing was always great despite it but we all knew what would happen if they could ever re-fill it. Last spring we had fantastic rains and it came to full pool and flooded thousands of acres of growth. The crappie spawn was not as large as we had hoped and it threw the cycle off of most but the ones that did spawn had a huge survival rate due to all the cover and food. Now that things have finally stabilized it is starting to explode.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-11-2006 at 07:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know where San Carlos Reservoir is? I used to fish it when I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca, man it had some moster crappie and was very lightly fished. Apaches were always coming to the camp to visit and borrow some food.
    Regards,
    Mud-Dabber

Post Thanks / Like

Several years ago Lake Norfork in North Central Arkansas rose higher than normal due to extreme rains. The banks were flooded and the crappie spawn was perfect. With added brush put in by the corps and the good spawns, the crappie have revived themselves in that lake.

I bet that you have a pretty extensive knowledge of the lake since it was so low for so long and now it is up. Those are some great looking crappie.

Where is Roosevelt?
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mud-Dabber
    Do you know where San Carlos Reservoir is? I used to fish it when I was stationed at Ft. Huachuca, man it had some moster crappie and was very lightly fished. Apaches were always coming to the camp to visit and borrow some food.
    Regards,
    Mud-Dabber
    I know San Carlos lake well and yes it used to produce some real nice fish also until it all but dried up a few years ago. Last year brought it back up a bunch but still not what it should be. The other real problem about fishing it is the crime around it from the reservation gangs and lack of any law enforcement. 5 murders at the lake in the last 2 years and countless assualts, thefts and boats being shot at while fishing. Only a few brave/stupid souls fish it anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast