Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Odessa City Lake & older than 65

Post Thanks / Like

Default Odessa City Lake & older than 65

I've been thinking about fishing the Odessa City Lake. So, I called 816-230-5577 to check on what permits would be required.

I was told that since I'm over 65, I didn't need a fishing permit, nor a boating permit. Sounded good to me....so, I thought I would let others know.

The person I talked to double checked with someone else to make sure a boating permit wasn't required too.

I hope they have regulations posted at the lake that verifies what I was told.

Anyone interested in fishing the lake should call first to verify the information is correct.

I wonder if the lake is worth fishing. I remember catching over 50 small bass one spring morning (I believe in 1979),,,,,,,,my first experience fishing a Smithwick rogue.

Post Thanks / Like

Concordia and Higginsville goes by state regulations too. No city fishing permit required for those 65 and older....and no special city boat permits too.

When I called Concordia, the guy I talked to said he was told that the crappie had been hitting. When I mentioned I heard there were a lot of dinks, he replied that these where decent size. I wonder what this weather has done to them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Musky Bob View Post
    I've been thinking about fishing the Odessa City Lake. So, I called 816-230-5577 to check on what permits would be required.

I was told that since I'm over 65, I didn't need a fishing permit, nor a boating permit. Sounded good to me....so, I thought I would let others know.

The person I talked to double checked with someone else to make sure a boating permit wasn't required too.

I hope they have regulations posted at the lake that verifies what I was told.

Anyone interested in fishing the lake should call first to verify the information is correct.

I wonder if the lake is worth fishing. I remember catching over 50 small bass one spring morning (I believe in 1979),,,,,,,,my first experience fishing a Smithwick rogue.
    you wont have a problem at odessa city lake! we dont have anyone checkin permits out there anymore! i fish it about once a year and thats about all i can take! i NEVER have any luck out there for crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

a buddy and i used to fish Odessa, we didnt catch many crappie out there but we have caught a lot of bass on spinner baits right before dark, the biggest bass we got was a 9 pounder. we also caught a lot of channel cats out there along the dam at night. its a fun little lake to get out on if your not too far away from it. as far as the permits and things go, back then they had a older man drive around the lake in a pickup that worked for whoever owned it. if he saw you before you put the boat in or started fishing he would ask you to buy a permit from him the fishing permit was either $7 a day or you could get a year pass and if you had a boat he could sell you either a day or year boat pass as well. if he was not there when you put in or took out then you didnt have to pay. thats how it was when we were going there about 6 or 7 years ago, if it has changed then thats good to hear. oh when we were going they closed the gate at 12:00 am so if you happen to go night fishing you may want to find out if thats still right because you may not want to get locked in. let me know how you do and what you found out about it all. good luck!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to fish Odessa and Concordia again....after many years. I use to catch a lot of small bass in both lakes. as to crappie, I never caught many from Odessa. and the ones in Concordia were dinks, but lots of them.
    I remember Odessa offering some good bluegill fishing the first part of June. The bluegill would gather on the surface in the early morning. Needless to say a flyrod or a spinning rod with a small jig casted in the middle of the bluegills resulted in fun.
    Hey, thanks for the comments. I just glad I don't have to be bothered in getting permits to be legal to fish these lakes. The cost isn't so great....
    Depending on the weather, I should be able to fish one of these lakes sometime within the next couple of weeks. I hope I can still catch some fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Never fished Concordia for Crappie but I have for bluegill and catfish. The bluegill are dinks but the cats are awesome. Most times I went out I would catch 5 to 10 the smalles about 5 pounds and the largest a little over 10. On light tackle that is a lot of fun. I know that you are chasing crappie but if you can't find them the cats should be easy to find. Might as well catch something if you are already out there.
    Opinions are like A-holes, everybody has one and some stink worse than others!