Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Fishing

Hi everyone,

Im new to crappie fishing, actually, I never caught a crappie before, I just always do bass fishing.but I see a lot of people that crappie fish, and I heard they taste really good, so Id like to get into it a little more. I dont really know much about catching them. I guess they eat the same stuff thhat other panfish do, but I dont know techniques, presentations, or where to look for them...

I went to Okeechobee last week, and must have seen 20 or 30 boats in the Harney Pong Canal all fishing for crappie (had all their rods spread out all around the boat). Was it a good day or somethin? Do they bite good just after cold fronts or something?

Can someone fill me in on how to catch these guys, cause I'd like to taste one...
    Stop Global Whinning!

Post Thanks / Like

Once you go Black (Crappie) you never go back!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess Im ready then
    Stop Global Whinning!

Post Thanks / Like

sac I know a guy who use to bass fish all the time. he won many tournaments. Once he got into crappie fishing, he hasnt bass fished since, or atleast I havent caught him.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy Cow!!! are you serious???

Well I know I'll definately bass fish still... I do tournaments to, just not profetionally. I do all kinds of fishing except for ice fishing, catfish, billfish, and I wanna get into crappie fishing...
    Stop Global Whinning!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Arkansas, Tony.

Warning, crappie fishing is very addicting. However, this is probably the most healthy habit you could ever get.

I did not grow up crappie fishing like many folks. So, when I decided to do so, like you have, I started reading everything I could get my hands on about the subject. Of course, I didn't have a clue as to what the authors were talking about, but I would go out in my boat and try to apply what I read about. After a while of trial and error, I was still not discouraged and more determined than ever. I hired a guide, Jerry Blake, that specifically targeted crappie to teach me a few things. It was like a masters degree crash course. I and my family started catching crappie, now I'm a guide myself.

So, I guess what I'm saying is read, befriend a mentor, and don't give up. Here's a few sayings that can motivate you: "you never know till you go" and "if you go enough, you'll be there when it happens."

There are so many different ways to crappie fish that one could not begin to tell you how to do it unless they were specifically knowledgable about the water you fish. Find that guide and/or mentor in your area. Plus, learn general basics and then blaze your own trail. The next thing you know we'll be learning Tony's presentation method for SW FL crappie.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

wow, thanks for the advice. It wasnt until recently that I actually taken up on any mentors for any type of fishing. Throughout my whole life, besides learning the basics from my grampa and my dad, I have taught myself how to succesfully catch whatever I am after. I tought myself how to catch pretty much anything saltwater down here, taught myself how to flyfish and catch trout (up north), and I tought myself how to bassfish. Now the mentoring came in when I joined this bassclub last year, and they have taught me a lot of techniques on how to catch more fish in harder situations. before, i got by on what I figured out myself...
    Stop Global Whinning!

Post Thanks / Like

Tony,

You might want to ask around at the docks and see if there is a crappie club in your area that you could join. Also, check the Florida state forum on this site. Oh, and read the articles here too. I can send you some other links too. I don't have any any specific for Florida, but a crap-ee is a crop-ee is a speck!:D :D
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, go ahead and give em to me, I can play off of that, it dont really matter if its florida or not. Thats how I did it with bass, I learned about all their habbits and that stuff, and applied it to bass fishing in florida, and I found our what worked and what didnt over here...
    Stop Global Whinning!

Post Thanks / Like

Tony, crappie fishing is bass fishing except lighter, smaller, and harder if you want to be in the 10% of the fishermen who catch 90% of the fish. Its more of a finesse style than bass, but many of the same techniques work. If your as experienced as you say you are you shouldn't need too much help, but heres my nickel crappie fishing speech. Using a 7 ft ultralight action but high modulous 1 or 2 piece spinning rod with 6 lb test line and a very smooth 2 sized spinning reel, go get a selection of berkley micro tubes and 2-3 inch twister tail grubs with 1/32 - 1/8 plain round headed jigs. I know the crappie fishing in florida pretty well so give me an idea of where you are and I'll give you some hints, then go out and start throwing jigs. Crappies like to hit mainly on the fall, on a steady slow retrieve, or when very very slowly pulling the jig up from the bottom they will come from below and inhale the jig. Watch your line close for light hits and hone your instant reflex hookset because they spit a jig as fast as anything in the water. Get ready to get hooked for life. Crappie fishing is a blast and difficult and easy at the same time depending on how big a fish you want and how much you enjoy sitting in the middle of a crowd of fishermen with you hawling them in one after another and the other fishermen glowering at you. lol There are lots of other ways to catch crappies but if you follow the above instructions you'll have a great start and be way ahead of most. Good luck
    Good things come to those who bait.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast