Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fried Polenta

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fried Polenta

Make some POLENTA (I like mine with minced garlic in it too, cheese, Jap peppers, corn, anything u like), cut into slices and fry, then place the CRAPPIE CORDON BLUE "CCB"(I already gave yall that one) on top...Making sure to get some of the Juice from the CCB all over it.

Polenta is so versatile. It can be eaten soft or thickened, cooled and fried, grilled, baked or broiled. It can be made plain or many different types of herbs or cheese may be added. Because of its mild flavor, almost any type of sauce can be used as a topping. This recipe gives the very basic, so have fun and experiment.

INGREDIENTS

4 cups water
    1 cup yellow cornmeal
    Salt and pepper to taste

For soft polenta: Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal, being certain to break up any lumps that might form. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, stirring often, until thick and creamy, adding more water if too thick, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in salt, pepper and seasonings as desired. Serve immediately.

For thick polenta: Follow the directions above but continue to cook until very thick so that the spoon almost stands up by itself. Add seasonings and place polenta in a lightly greased loaf pan or flat baking dish. Cool completely or refrigerate until needed. Cut into desired pieces for frying, grilling, baking or broiling.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

We called that mush when I was a kid. Let it set up, slice it and fry it in bacon grease and put a little syrup on it. I still don't like corn bread.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, we called that "Corn Meal Mush" when I was a kid but we ate it (the soft form) for breakfast with brown sugar and milk on it. With 6 kids in the family I don't think we ever had any left over to fry later.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

I married an Italian...they introduced me to polenta. I always wondered if that was the same thing as mush...Always knew it was almost the same as grits. They serve it up for dinner...a good gravy added and some swiss cheese folded in will melt in just a sec...man that IS good stuff....Grits for breakfast, polenta for dinner...I'm in heaven.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me. I like the versatility of it adding all the different herbs and veggies, peppers, peppers, peppers. HMMMMM GOOOOD.

I wil try it. Might even end up on my website's recipe page.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Once you cook it, place it in a bread pan and then put in fridge. ONce cooled, pop out of the pan and slice. Then drizzle Olive Oil on slices and GRILL. Or Fry it, pan-fried or deep fried is fine. Add anything you want to it while it's still hot and in cooking pot. Then pour into GREASED bread pan and let cool. Slice and like it says you can eat it cold or make it hot again.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL I started to say it is just Mush. Wonder who gave it the fancy name? Good stuff though. We make it now and then to. Ron

Post Thanks / Like

I think they were making Polenta in Italy LONG before we even had a COUNTRY.

Post Thanks / Like

The real kick is polenta and grits started showin up in some of the fanciest of restuarants in the late 90's...I remember seeing "Shrimp and Grits" for $25...I guess that's proof of what we always said..."Poor people know how to eat good too!!"

Post Thanks / Like

Mush, grits, corn meal, and malto meal. Sorry guys my mom used to force feed me that stuff 7 days a week when I was a kid. That and Whiting (fish), I can smell Whiting from 200 yards downwind from me. I guess I hated it so bad when I was a kid it gave me a complex. I'll cook it for the better half, but it aint touching my plate. hehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast