Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long lining flooded timber

Post Thanks / Like

Default Long lining flooded timber

Hey all. Just curious how many people on here long line. I fished some flooded timber one time while long lineing with curly tail and minnow. I had a time with it. I had to retie 7 times but the bad part was this was the only way I could get them to bite. Tried jiggin and slip bobbin no luck. So my question is does any one have a method to run long line where it won't snag like this any help is appreciated. Thanks
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-10-2010 at 07:40 AM.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You might try going to a higher speed on your trolling motor to keep the jigs from running so deep...might keep them above the snags that way. And you could try not letting out as much line also might get them up a little higher. A old timer told me that if your not loseing jigs your not catching fish, LOL.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

that is true G3
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

What about trying weedless jigs?

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks g3 the flooded timber I'm talking about is patoka lake. It's large trees with limbs of all heights in the water. I never tried seedless jigs but I thought I seen something mr. Crappie had to run no snag hooks like that just can't remeber where I saw it. I really enjoy long line fishing just trying to (invent) a no snag rig

Post Thanks / Like

I have never tried Seedless jigs either:D
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Weedless sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Go weedless for sure, you prob still lose one here and there but no where near as bad as you are now, I honestly use weedless even when I don't have to when I long line, just as easy to put em on and leave em on for me. I had grousefly make me some weedless with sickle hooks that have been perfect to long line with, but yea weedless is for sure the way to go, good luck out there and God bless.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks jeepguy anyway you could explain this "weedless" setup or a pic maybe. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, to be honest I long line a single 16th weedless jig head per line, I have in the past ran 2 jigs per line, but its easier, and I catch just as many pulling a single jig per line, now I do troll crank baits a lot also, and I will tie a leader on the rear ring of the back hook of the crank bait, on the other end of the leader behind the crank, I will use a small jig head (64th) and a tube or grub. But usally its one lure per line for me,also at time when I'm trolling suspendid fish not on cover I have had great luck with roadrunners (crappie thunder) I can post a pic of the jig head in the morning if that would help, but single jig head per line works well for me, and isn't complicated, not complicated is good for a guy like me ha ha. But yea let me know if you wanna see the heads that I had made that work well.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast