Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barometric Pressure and Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barometric Pressure and Crappie

I've been wondering as of late, if Crappie are as affected by the Barometric Pressure as other fish like Catfish. It's fairly well known that Catfish bite better on a rising barometer and/or when the pressure is 30 or above. (at least the folks in my neck of the woods know this)

Since I'm fairly new to fishing for Crappie year round, I'm wondering if the same holds true for Crappie.

So far this year, my notes don't show a definite pattern. I may need to fish a lot more before I start seeing a pattern on this. Oh well...more Crappie trips all in the name of research

Just wondering what others experiences have been.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the dark of the moon is the best and yes I think barometic pressure also plays a part in fishing. the higher the pressure the shallower the fish??? or is it the deeper the fish.???

Post Thanks / Like

I've been monitoring the barometer on all my fishing trips the last few years and my data is inconclusive. I remember reading that if the fish were to change their depth by one foot they would feel far more pressure from that than they ever would from the barometer changing. I do wonder if they sense something that us humans don't.

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default Effects of barometric pressure on crappie

I have never maintained a fishing log but if you go to In-Fisherman | Catch More and Bigger Fish! and enter barometric pressure in the search box you will get quite a few articles. Some of them are crappie specific. I like that magazine and have learned quite a few tricks from it. Looks like I have some more learning to do.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Older fish know barometric changes. They all on meloxicam.:D
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes snake River LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

For us it has always seemed like the bite got tough above 29.80.

Post Thanks / Like

Go by a pasture of cows if the cows are lying down the fish won't bite good if they are standing up the fish will bite good. Also take a 6oz old coke bottle fill a quart fruit jar about half full turn the coke bottle neck down in the jar the water line needs to come up on the bottle about an inch as the baro goes up the water goes up in the bottle if there is a bubble at the bottom the fish won't bite this happens when the baro is down. I put a little food color in mine so you can see the water line better. It works as I have a baro next to mine to see how it works. At 30.2 the water will be about a 1/2 inch above the water line of the jar at 29.7 it will be below the water line. An old fisherman told if you see a bubble stay home as you want catch any. Cub48

Post Thanks / Like

Cub, the cow thing is an old wives tale. We had a pretty good discussion about it on the Oklahoma board a while back.

We couldn't figure out what it meant when half the cows were standing and feeding and the other half were laying down.

And then we had the problem of cows on one side of the road standing and feeding while the ones on the other side were laying down.

We finally came to the conclusion, or at least I did, that some cows are liars!
    Likes fishervet, Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default minnows

an old timer told me once to watch the minnows in a bucket. if there swimming in the top of the bucket fish shallow, at the bottom of the bucket fish deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I like the Barometer above 30.00 When I was Tagging Sturgeon for the Idaho Fish & Game I kept track of the readings. I found that below 30.00 stay at home. Above 30.00 go fishing. I believe Crappie fishing is better above 30.00 than below.
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast