Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Newton lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newton lake

Anyone ever go to lake Newton anymore for crappie? I know they have good bass fishing but it used to be good for crappie too.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont go to Newton...but years ago I remember hearing about how the crappie were dissaperaring there due to a problem with the spawn and the hot water area of the lake. I have no clue if this is true. Seems to me like i read somewhere where at one time they were having problems even shocking a crappie to the surface in their fish surveys. This was 10 or so year ago..and im not sure if thats even true...but i know i read or heard about this at one time.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out report on "Larry's Fishing Hole" lake reports
    http://members.aol.com/ladoz2/spots.html

Reporting as
    NEWTON LAKE - 16 -17 miles southeast of Effingham off Route 33.
    --Lake was about 4 foot low and fairly clear with Not much fishing activity. Use CAUTION when launching your boat.
    Bass are FAIR-GOOD on pastics off points.
    Crappie are reported as SPOTTY.
    WhiteBass have been SPOTTY.
    --The cold arm (cold side) of the lake was closed to fishing and planned until January 31 --
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newton Lake

The crappie fishing did deteroriate from the early years. I heard that several of the power plant lakes had this problem. However, the crappie may be making a comback in recent years. A friend of mine did a lot of goose hunting down there the winter of 2004-05 and said he ran into a crappie fisherman down there almost every time he went. He said on most encounters, this fellow had his limit of crappie. I haven't talked with him recently, so I don't know what went on down there this season.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Im thinking Clinton at one time had a similar crappie problem. I know they catch them there now. Regarding what I said about Newton Im sure I read the biologist explanation for the crappie problem that they had (at least at one time). It had something to do with the warm water screwing up the eggs or something to that effect and at the time they were having a hard time shocking up any crappie. Must have been bad. I just cant remember..that was at least 10 years ago. You know...theres another lake called East Fork up in that same general area that I have heard produces nice numbers of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I live just a few miles (maybe 8 or less?) from Newton's CIPS lake. I remember back when people used to catch boatloads of crappie from it. Now, you don't hear much about crappie there. I think it was last year that a lot of people were really catching white bass. I'm not hearing of a lot of success with them either this year yet. A nephew and I went there white bass fishing a couple weeks ago. Lake was really low. We couldn't stay long and all we caught was one largemouth bass of about 16". We'll have to give it another try sometime soon.