Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hey, Darryl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey, Darryl

Hey Darryl, just wanted to know how you are doing with the new jigs you,ve been tying. I've got several jig heads on order from Cabelas, should be here any day. Can't wait to get started. Let us know how they have been working and what you best color , material combos have been.

Thanks 3GD

Post Thanks / Like

The jig tying is going really well. Right now I'm making some up to build up some stock and get ready for spring spawn.

I guess my absolute favorite would have to be a white head, red thread neck with a char fishair.

I am considering making a page on my website that shows tackle and baits and tells about different presentation methods. It's a work in progress.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Just thought I would offer some help to you folks. I have tied fishing flies for more than 40 years for a living and a lot of jig's got in on it to LOL. If you folks ever need any help just holler and I will do my best. You know materials and finishes and such.

Instead of fishhair you might give rabbit fur a try. You can buy it in strips in about any color you might need. Just cut it off and tie it in as you would the fishhair. I think you will find it has even more movement than the fishhair does in the water. Just look for longer fur on the strips. You can also buy a whole hide to. Just depends on how many you are going to tie. I would guess you can get about 4 to 5 dozen jig's out of a package of rabbit strips. Just trying to be of help. Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Ron, I've used the rabbit strips before tying streamers and it does move good. I will give that a shot on my jigs.And Darryl sounds like your having fun, the info on your web-site would be pretty cool.

3GD

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ron, I could use some advise on one aspect that I haven't figured out yet. When using fishair the tail end of the jig is relatively flat and blunt. How would you finish the tail so that it is the desired length and not flat or blunt? I have been experimenting but haven't found a way that I like to get the tail tappered and feathered yet.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Darryl- There are a couple types of fish hair that I know of. There is one that you can buy in a hobby shop that is used for dolls and fake hair on masks and such. I use it all the time on Saltwater flies and small streamers and jigs. Good Stuff. It is very fine and comes on a large roll like material does. You can but it by the foot or yard. The hair on this type is uneven and I think that is what you are looking for, you want the tail of the jig to come to a point RIGHT?. It comes in many colors. You might look in a hobby shop. If not let me know and I will give you a place were you can get it. It is also finer than the type you are using I believe? So it will give a jig more action. It is great on smaller types of jigs like crappie Jigs. There is a kind of underfur on this type and it is also great on the small crappie jigs.

The stuff you have is great for larger saltwater types of flies or jigs as the fish do not care if the tail is blunt or if you just cut the taper with a pair of scissors. Let me know. Ron