Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Has anyone ever tried PanFish Jerky?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone ever tried PanFish Jerky?

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried Fish Jerky? also know as just Dry Fish. It's mostly cleaned, seasoned and dried panfish. Crappie is the best tasting put of all the PanFish Jerky of course.

Post Thanks / Like

I've brine salmon fillets and slow-smoked them over a cool draft until the meat is quite dry, then I thin sliced it. This was always good with a cold beer [cold pepsi or coke now] and some crackers and swiss cheese. I haven't tried crappies, but might now that you mention it. Smoked sunfish are great.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's what I basically do with Salmon and Trout, but I usually smoke them first and then hang them up to dry in a net box outside. They are good, but crappie is the best. I don't smoke the crappie tho, I just clean them and marinade it in pickling salt for about 3 days. Then after rinse out the salt from each fish sepratly under cold water and let it soak for 3 hours in fresh cold water in the sink and change the water every hour. Then put tooth picks in the stomach to keep it open, and hang it up in a netbox to dry outside until the fish has dried and hardend. Then throw them into a plastic bag and enjoy them with a cold beer. Just break of the head and fins and the skin peels off pretty easy and the dry meat is amazing, especially with a cold beer. I'm originally from Europe and dry fish is very popular there. It's actually sold in grociary stores and outside in stands on the beach with beer.