Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Roadrunners again

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Roadrunners again

How does everyone fish a roadrunner? I've tried them without success. They certainly look like they should produce. I've tried casting and trolling but nutin. Maybe the fish in our stained rivers just don't like them.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I use em when their on the banks spawning and thats about the only time. Ole Jimmy Huston says when you think your fishin a Road Runner to slow, slow down. I use em under a float alot just to slow down the retrieve. Works for me... izzy

Post Thanks / Like

i've used them for several years on buggs trolling in the spring and had them out fish every thing else i've tried. best trailer has been kalin grubs...black/blue/chart. and john deer green. early (44to 50 degrees) we do good with slider grubs on red roadrunners..black/chart. hope this helps you!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Ibn .....

you just ain't got one in front of a Crappie, yet ... LOL!!

Seriously though .... I find them to be quite productive in water of 8ft or less (casting). I've cast & trolled them with good results. I do try and keep them above the submerged cover, and rarely throw them around wood cover I can see. I use weedless jigs for most of those kinda places :D and I retrieve them a lot slower than you can effectively retrieve a Roadrunner.
    Solid Chartreuse, and solid Pink, in 1/16oz & 1/32oz are my best producing colors ... and I prefer the marabou hair version. Just keep chunkin & windin 'em ... you'll get bit .......... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

As izzysfishin pointed out slow is key. You can't fish them too slow.

I have trolled them and caught crappie as deep as 14-18', but your boat must move very slow.

In shallow water 4'-6' (when I had a bass boat and good troll motor) I use to set my motor on about 3, maybe little less sometimes.

I also use the 1/32 oz. (most of the time) and think I get more bites like that. Also heaver ones will need to move faster or drag the bottom and that is the key reason I like the 1-32 oz.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Slow and slower is the key, but I've also torn them up by throwing it out and letting it settle to the bottom, then ripping it up like I was setting the hook on a marlin, then letting it settle back down. Once caught a 5 gallon bucket of bluegill that way. Who knows why the like it....

Post Thanks / Like

I never use anything in a Roadrunner in any size other than 1/16oz.
    If you haven't pulled a Roadrunner over a ledge with crappie hanging right on the drop, then you're missing out.

I will throw or shoot the Roadrunner up on the shallow side of the ledge and let is sink all the way to the bottom. Use a slow hop retrieve...which for me is a raise the rod tip about 2' and then let it fall on a semi-tight line. Reel up the slack and do it all over again until you get the bait back to you. You can use the same retrieve over flat land too.

But, if you're fishing a ledge where you've found crappie hanging out on the downward slope, pay particular attention to where the actual drop off of the ledge is. Cast the RR up onto the shallow side of the ledge and use the slow hop retrieve to get the RR back to the very edge of the ledge. Then just slightly shake your rod tip to wiggle the RR over the edge. You'll get popped as it crosses the threshhold and begins to fall or anywhere on the way down.

Just think of it as working a jig'n pig for bass, but in smaller increments.

You'll get some good thumps as it falls down the ledge.
    If you're fishing it on flat land, you may not feel anything at all because the crappie will pick it up right off the bottom.

This technique works very well in the spring, summer & fall.

Good Fishin'
    <--Click for Website

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, it sound like I need to slow down. I'll try it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

hawkman is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    OK, it sound like I need to slow down. I'll try it.
    We use them a lot. Mostly in the spring when the water starts to warm up & the fish are more willing to chase it. They should be able to feel the vibration even in the stained water. Our water here is usually stained but not like in your area. Last spring red head, blue/chartreuse curlytail did it for us. Casting to the bank, reeling just fast enough to keep it from hanging on the bottom.
    Crappie fishing is my lighthouse of sanity in an insane world,
    It keeps me from crashing on the rocky shores of everyday life.
    Crappie.com is my beacon of light!