Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Jigs in the creeks/river?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs in the creeks/river?

Hey fellas, I have been snagging a few crappie lately here in eastern, NC while bream fishing. I would really like to target them, but I can't seem to figure out what exactly to do. How do you guys use jigs? they seem too small to cast, do you dip them around structure with a crappie buster/ cane pole? I have several ultra lite spinning outfits with 5.5 ft rods, can I use these with light line? Any way get me started with jigging in the rivers/ creeks? thanks you very much, Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Hello creekman. I fish a lot of creek and river situations here in northern Michigan and use similar tackle. I use a 6 1/2 foot and a 4 1/2 foot ultralight most often. Both of these are rigged with Ultralight reels and 4 or 2 pound test monofilament. I have no problem casting 1/64oz jigs with out bobbers so your situation should be fine for casting. I also use 13ft, 16ft and 20ft, telescoping poles with various line sizes, depending on the situation. I prefer to use the spinning outfits if I am dipping around the brush as it is easier to control the amount of line you need out, but the shorter poles require being closer to the structure. The 6 1/2 to 10ft rods work great for dipping in brush, especially if the water is clear and you need to stay back a bit to keep from being detected.
    It is not about the equipment you have to use,
    It is about how you use the equipment you have. :D

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Either way, or others ...

Quote Originally Posted by creekman View Post
    Hey fellas, I have been snagging a few crappie lately here in eastern, NC while bream fishing. I would really like to target them, but I can't seem to figure out what exactly to do. How do you guys use jigs? they seem too small to cast, do you dip them around structure with a crappie buster/ cane pole? I have several ultra lite spinning outfits with 5.5 ft rods, can I use these with light line? Any way get me started with jigging in the rivers/ creeks? thanks you very much, Robert
    Jigs can be used in just about any way/method that live bait can be used ... and in most cases they seem to work, at times anyway.

I'd have 4lb line on those UL outfits, tie a jig on, and cast it around the areas where you've been "accidently" catching Crappie. Hold your rod with the tip pointing at about a 45deg angle away from your body ... WATCH THE LINE ... reel in slowly & steadily .... WATCH THE LINE ... IF and WHEN you see the line make a slight jump -- SET THE HOOK !!!

YES, tying a jig on a long pole .... dipping it around weed bed opening, stumps, standing trees, fallen trees, brush piles, rock piles, dock posts, bridge pylons, and most any other form of cover that you might encounter on a creek/river, is going to get you "tapped" :p (that's "tapped" as in seeing/feeling a tap thru the rod) You may even see the line start to move off to one side or the other ... in EITHER case -- SET THE HOOK !! :D

Crappie have a much bigger mouth than other Sunfish ... and as such, "normally" do not 'peck' or "tap-tap-tap" on the jig. Usually it's just one tap, and it can be very subtle/light or fairly noticable. SET THE HOOK whenever you see the line jump, the line move off to one side or the other, or whenever the line suddenly goes slack (and you're sure the bait hasn't hit bottom) ... as most of the time, these are indications of a Crappie hit. (I figure you'd already know to set the hook if the fish slams it, so I only mentioned the subtle types of hits :p )

.... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by creekman View Post
    Any way get me started with jigging in the rivers/ creeks? thanks you very much, Robert
    Sent you a PM.