Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: line problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default line problems

As I mentioned in my first post, I am pretty much a newbie to fish'n with lots to learn.

I currently have two rod and reel setups that I use: A shakespear excursion collapsable rod w/ included spinning reel, and a Uglystick w/ a Pfluger medium light spinning reel.
    The Excursion was spooled myself with 10lb. Cajun Red by myself and the Pfluger was spooled by Bass Pro with Cajun 6lb. clear mono.
    Both reels were spooled with-in the last month.
    Problem is, I seem to be fighting the lines alot. I know that the Excursion has some problems with hanging up on the hardware, but the biggest problem is that after I cast, before I have a chance to close the bale, a lot of excessive line always comes off usually tangling into a mess.
    I sometimes have the same problem on the Pfluger but usually after a longer cast. The biggest problem with the Pfluger that I am having is when I am retrieving I sometimes have to hold tension on the line less it doesn't wrap around the spool securly.
    I am woundering if I didn't spool the Excursion correctly. I know I was supposed to follw the direction that it came off the supply spool onto the reel spool, but I couldn't really tell if I had it right. I am thinking about replacing the excursion with a different reel but keep the rod cause I like how it collapses.
    Any suggestions are welcome!
    look me up on facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=1491513101

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question quick fix ....

... would be to take the rods out into the yard, pull off the line (as you walk around the house) until you get at least 1/2-3/4 of the line off the spool & lying in the grass .... then hold tension on the line (in front of the reel, with thumb/finger) as you reel the line back on, allowing the line to drag thru the grass (and with nothing tied on it, of course). You "may" have to do this twice for the best results.
    This can also be accomplished, when out in the boat, by taking the bait off & dragging the empty line behind the boat ... running at idle speed for a couple of minutes or a hundred yards or so.

Line "jumping off" the reel spool is a sign of one of two things :

Too much line on the reel (you need to leave about 1/8" of spool lip exposed)
    Too heavy/stiff a line for the size of the reel spool.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jrbond View Post
    I am thinking about replacing the excursion with a different reel
    That might not be a bad idea. The better the reel, the fewer line problems you will have. I would suggest a Daiwa or Shimano that fits your budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Just get yourself some "Reel Magic". Spray a cloth with it and hold that as you wind your line into the reel, between your fingers. Coats the line and "loosens" it up. You can also just make a cast, then spray the remaining line on the spool and reel it back in a ways.....re-spray and repeat, until the entire line is coated that you normally cast with.

You might try a better quality line as well. I've never been impressed with the red Cajun lines myself. But that's just me!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    You might try a better quality line as well. I've never been impressed with the red Cajun lines myself. But that's just me!
    DITTO!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

All good ideas. Haven't heard of the 'spray on" stuff. I'll look into that.

One thing I do before I begin to spool, is put the new line some water for a few minutes. Then for the first few times I use it, before I make my first cast, is submerg the entire reel in the lake till the bubbles stop. Won't hurt your reel and does seem to take some of the 'memory'.

Having said that, it works with mono or fluro line. I have switched to 20 lbs Suffix braid which has 6 lb mono diameter. Keeps me from loosing a 3 lb crappie in the weeds, and keeps me from re-tying when I break off with mono line. Just re-bend the hook and keep fishin.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like too much line on the reel. also, use a better line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post

Line "jumping off" the reel spool is a sign of one of two things :

Too much line on the reel (you need to leave about 1/8" of spool lip exposed)
    Too heavy/stiff a line for the size of the reel spool.
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

All these ideas sound easily doable. I thought that the cajun brand would have been reputable. I am starting to hear Suffix is a superior brand??
    look me up on facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=1491513101

Post Thanks / Like

P-line CX
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast