Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: smithville fishing report

Post Thanks / Like

Default smithville fishing report

taken from Garys site

Water temp: 68

Crappie: Good to Excellent:: The crappie spawn is here. The fish are starting to come to the banks in most of the lake areas. The river areas north of the W-bridge seem to be the best right now. Lots of small males all over the banks. Lots of nice fish over 12". The christmas trees put in the Crows Creek area and Campbranch cove are all producing lots of fish. I always figure the spawn is in some stage during Mothers Day. Clay Co Parks put the Christmas trees in the lake and almost all of the piles were put inside the no-wakes at crows creek and campbranch. Many of the piles can be seen sticking out of the water now that the lake is low. Most are in 8' to 10' of water and can be reached from the bank. Christmas trees and brush piles GPS coord. below.

Post Thanks / Like

That is good news. The recent cool spells have kept me from driving from St. Joe to the lake but I may give it a go this weekend. Have always caught larger crappies from Sailboat cove area but may try crows creek as well.
    Thanks for the heads up!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site 1077. Hope to see you on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

welcome 1077 from Smithville
    May all your live wells be full.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cook View Post
    taken from Garys site

Water temp: 68

Crappie: Good to Excellent:: The crappie spawn is here. The fish are starting to come to the banks in most of the lake areas. The river areas north of the W-bridge seem to be the best right now. Lots of small males all over the banks. Lots of nice fish over 12". The christmas trees put in the Crows Creek area and Campbranch cove are all producing lots of fish. I always figure the spawn is in some stage during Mothers Day. Clay Co Parks put the Christmas trees in the lake and almost all of the piles were put inside the no-wakes at crows creek and campbranch. Many of the piles can be seen sticking out of the water now that the lake is low. Most are in 8' to 10' of water and can be reached from the bank. Christmas trees and brush piles GPS coord. below.
    Cook, I was meaning to pass on this information to you but kept forgetting. Looks like they put out some brush piles at the fishing dock at Crow's Creek. There are two piles: on about 20 feet right in front of the pile and the other 20 feet and 45 degrees to the left as you are on the docklooking accross the cove at the camp grounds. The piles seem to be pretty good sized.
    Alex (KC Area, Smithville Lake)

Post Thanks / Like

got crappie sick today,luckly the boss man understands.hit smithville at 8fished till 11. 8 keepers 10to 13 inches.they were hitting pearl the best.came home to swap the dog for the wife.gonna hit my honey holes tonight.still looking for that 15incher.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a bunch of short male around the brushpiles at Crows creek . They are getting hammered . The timber in the coves has been more productive for me . They are spawning around the roots of the trees .

Post Thanks / Like

just got home with the wife fished from 4 to 7.caught 12keepers.wife 10 me 2.they stopped at 6:30.we fish 5 feet of water very close to deep water.we caught many little ones.