Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crawfish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crawfish

We were doing a little remodel work yesterday at on of the local crawfish farmer's barns/office and throughout the day his crew was bringing in crawfish from the field and getting them ready to send out to his suppliers. This seems to be a good season. One of the hands there said it was a pretty good day and they would probably end up with about 500-600 sacks for the day. Here is a pic, about 10 palets, 5 sacks to the row and 6 rows high. Average 30-35lbs per sack, so somewhere around 1000 lbs per palet, so there would be about a 10 thousand pounds of crawfish in this pic. Makes me wonder how many pounds of crawfish are caught and sold in a years time.(actually from about Dec-June)

You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Those sure do look good. I wish I had a couple of sacks. This old boy from north Louisiana can put away some crawdads. I usually go to a place in Monroe, Cypress Inn, on Bayou Desaird to get mine. They sell them in the restaurant for about $30.00 for all you can eat at this time of the year. Earlier in the season they are more expensive. They also sell them outside by the pound. I don't know how much they are outside. My wife says that I eat so many, usually 20-25 pounds, that we can't afford to buy them out side. I agree with her. LOL.
    The Lord is good. His mercy and love endures forever.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lot of bugs alright! My uncle out of Vidrine is a farmer and runs crawfish in winter/spring before he starts rice. He said he and others in that area weren't doing as well this year because of the freaky cold weather snaps we had earlier this year. What he caught looked like small lobsters, but there weren't a lot of sacks. Might be doing better now though, seeing this picture. Of course, he's only running 120 acres, where as this fella might have 5 times that...lottttaaaa bugs!

Post Thanks / Like

My friend goes through that or more every day, millions of lbs a year.
    A Bad Day of Fishing is Better Than a Good Day of Work!

Post Thanks / Like

ha ha that looks like a good weekend cook out. crawfish hole #2 is a good place... some patron and corona and those palets could be destoyed. :D
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSUguy View Post
    some patron and corona and those palets could be destoyed. :D
    I could definitely hang out with you.
    We did two sacks last weekend between 3 men, two women and 5 young kids. Didn't think itd be enough but there was leftovers...
    I've been wanting to go out and catch my own but haven't had the time. But being in there gettin 'em is a great feeling that I've gotta get bf the season is over.