Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comedy boating- at a ramp near you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Comedy boating- at a ramp near you!

Ok, my husband and I are taking our show on the road! Everytime we put our boat in or out, we seem to amuse a lot of people! :D I also notice that they tend to stay away from us...hmmm, don't know why. Could it be that we drive a boat like a dog on ice? Can't figure out the fish finder...shows 8 inches sometimes and flashes back to 3-4'. How shallow is TOO shallow?

Last 2 times we took the boat out, it was just us. Husband unloaded it and I went to park the trailer. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the boat in the water without a rope attached to it. I stopped and asked him about it, then he went in the water after the boat. Seems every time we launch, he gets wet!

Last Sunday, he puts the boat in, gets the rope on this time, flips the rope over those PVC guide poles, then tells me to go. He then tells me to go again because I guess I wasn't going fast enough. I look in the rear view mirror just in time to see him fly about 8 feet toward the truck. Evidently he had the rope attached to the trailer and he was still holding the rope. Sigh!

Then when trying to load the boat, I hit the rocks with the propeller and made a lovely noise. (There was a bad word, but we won't talk about that. It started with....Ohhh ______. ) There was a boat parked on the side of the dock opposite us. It was only tied with one rope and it moved around to be 1 foot from the back of our boat. (The guy stood there watching us.) I couldn't back up, and forward was a pile of rocks. I had to go forward and turn quickly. Didn't work. Hit the rocks. Then I was backwards with the motor touching the back of the trailer. So got it turned around and finally after 4 tries, got it on the trailer...sort of. Then my husband asked me if I was getting in the truck or not....and I was still in the boat in the water. People started laughing and he realized that he had to pull the boat up for me to get out. (Blue Creek at Oologah has a very small area of water by the ramp...shallow too.) Then we had to push the boat by hand sideways to get it on the trailer right.

By this time he was sore from the whiplash and a tad bit grouchy. I think he said something about needing me to trade him in for a younger model who knew how to drive a boat. I'm not sure though. If he advertises, ya'll better run the other way.

So another problem is that he won't let us get near any banks or stumps. Can't fish in the middle of the lake. So how long does it take to learn how to drive a boat? Seems like we don't react fast enough. Is it ever going to get better? It would be nice to be able to fish one day. All we do is drive the boat around deep water and practice with the trolling motor. Then I aim for the dock and hope I don't hit it too hard. He will no longer drive the boat! Says it is now mine! Maybe I need a remedial boating course....or boating for dummies! :D

OK, rant and rave is over. Just frustrated because I am not getting to fish and my husband now hates going.

Peke

Post Thanks / Like

Peke, I remember those days myself! 2 things to remember, 1) you have to have it in gear to have control, whether its forward or reverse, otherwise you are just drifting and with the Okla. winds that can get you into trouble real quick! 2) use reverse. More often than not its easier to backup, realign , and go again. I am usually laughing when I watch people miss their target and try to turn a circle to get back to it. Again with the winds and current you can end up a long way from it in a hurry. Keep practicing and one day you will wake up and amaze yourself on how all of a sudden it has become much easier...
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Post Thanks / Like

Peke dear...maybe you and hubby need to fish from the shore..it sounds safer than from a boat. Docks are great too. Hope you always wear a life jacket..even from the shore or dock not to mention the boat. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm with Southern Woman. Maybe you ought to sell the boat....while there is still something left to sell.

Is it well insured?:D
    si non ire, nescies--Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone's done something stupid while boating, everyone! Sounds like you're getting all yours done right up front and the best I can tell, it has to get better Peke.

Rule #1 in my book is never getting in a hurry and taking plenty of time, this includes before you even back your boat into the water. Make a checklist and go by that before start; batteries fully charged, drain-plug inserted and tight, life jackets, flare, whistle, horn, etc.... etc.... plenty of fuel and a reserve or back-up can of fuel.

Start your engine after you've backed into the water and let it warm up before taking it loose from the trailer. Never, never start your engine out of the water. The little impeller that pumps cooling water up to the base of your engine block depends on water to keep it lubricated. Made from material similar to a pencil eraser and it will wear out if you "dry" start it and run while out of the water.

And after you've done everything to make sure you're safe, and the boat\motor are "sea-worthy" just take your time. You might want to stay away from other boaters until you get your control skills enhanced. One rule of thumb is the closer you are to the shore, the slower you go. Keep that prop out of rocks, trees, and debris that will ruin it and sometimes leave you stranded.

Did I say just take your time while you are boating? Have fun, enjoy your boat and make danged sure you let me know when you're going to be boating in my area, ok?:D
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like the way i learned how to care for horses.the hard way!! i learned not to wrap you hand around the lunge rope, because the horse can drag you around the arena, just like you see on tv..learned not to bring a mare horse around a stud..i got kicked in the chest on that one..it took months to get over it...so i can tell you alot of things about what not to do with horses...same with boats, learn from your mistakes...and never ever forget them:D
    by the way..i now have 6 horses..and one boat...maybe one day 6 boats??:rolleyes:

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Patti,

I'm going to PM you my cell # so you can call me and let me know which ramp you're putting in at. I want to make sure to stay away from it that day!

Just joking

I learned a lot about boating from my Dad. Especially a lot of 'how not to do it'. But I made a lot of the same errors you make. I think most people have. In fact, I still make a lot of errors!

Now my Wife is wanting to learn the basics, like how to back the trailer, operate the boat, etc.

She hit another trailer at Gentry Creek a few weeks ago. Of course, it had to be the most expensive looking trailer in the parking lot. Bent the rear corner of his trailer where the light mounts and bent my fender up under itself into the tire. I broke a tire iron trying to bend my fender back out. Although the tire wasn't punctured by the fender, I went ahead and bought a new tire because I don't know how much damage the fender did.

It cost me $1100 to repair the other guys trailer!

It's getting real expensive for my Wife to learn how to back a trailer, so you can see my hesitation about letting her operate the boat! :rolleyes:

The last few days on the water with my Wife and Daughter has taught me one thing...I don't have the patience to fish with them for consecutive days! They just wear me down!

It's a wonder I catch any fish with those two in the boat. I'm usually taking fish off the hook for one of them, retying their jigs or putting minnows on their hooks, trying to get them unhung, dodging hooks flying through the air, turning around and going back to get them unhung, answering a million and one silly questions, or dealing with them freaking out because the see a snake...and I mean really freaking out...like hollering and screaming and crying freaking out...

All this while everyone is watching and laughing

I've thought about only taking them if I can hire a guide so he can put up with them so I can get some fishing done, but I don't have the heart to do that to a guide :D

You'll be okay, just keep at it and learn from your mistakes!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Already mentioned...but just TAKE YOUR TIME! As I'm getting older it isnt so easy looking over my shoulder as it used to be backing the trailer so I am in the process of learning to use the mirrows. It takes me a little longer but is alot easier on my neck.

Besides, you guys ever just sat and watched others loading or unloading? I'd bet ya a pretty penny some of those guys/gals have been at it for years and they'll still spend 10-15 minutes (seems like it anyway:rolleyes getting out of other people's way. They're not in a hurry and just dont care that others are waiting. So...a few extra minutes aint gonna hurt someone having to wait while youre learning.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not the classiest guy in town, nor the most romantic. My first date with my wife was taking her to a boat ramp in Seabrook, Texas. It was a busy place. We had no boat then, no trailer, and she never has gotten to like fishing, but she will still go sit at a boat ramp on a Saturday afternoon with me, eating cheese burgers and people watching. We say a lot of damage done that day as folks loaded and unloaded their expensive boats.

When I read your post, I laughed so hard I think I snorted iced tea. This all sounds quite par for the course, so don't feel too much shame just learn to laugh at your mistakes and realize we only go through this life once, so we might as well enjoy it.

As for advice on the boat and trailer... well, take the boat the husband to a parking lot and back that sucker everywhere. Into parking spots, around the parking bumps, next to the curb, ... anything you can think of. Do this until you both feel comfortable with the way it reacts. Then, go practice at a boat ramp in the evening. Don't unhook the straps, just get into the boat like you are going to launch it and back it in a few times and park in a spot and back up to "pull it out".

Once you get your hand signals or yells right, then its time to take to the water again.

We learn by watching and doing. Sit and watch as folks manuever their boats around. Watch as the seasoned hands trim their motors up and power onto their trailers, or beach their boats to go park the trailer. Also pay close attention to the back of the boats.

There is something called 'paddle wheeling'. This is when the spinning prop, in forward or reverse, makes the back of the boat 'walk' in one direction at lower speeds. This means its much easier to make a right turn at low speeds than a left turn, and its much easier to back to the right than the left.

Most seasoned hands know this, but don't know they know this. Watch as they use this to their advantage. They don't line up right in the middle of the trailer, they come at a slight angle, allowing the prop to pull the boat to the center at the last moment.

Good luck and try video taping your next launch and load. You may not do well, or you may make a complete mess of it and win a prize on America's Funniest Videos. :D:D
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

Default comedy boating

Okee- Ouch is all I can say...kicked in the chest? Good grief! The only time I was hurt by a horse was when I was 12. I walked in front of a Tennesse Walker and he hit me on my leg with his front hoof. Bruise was there forever. Can't imagine getting kicked in the chest!

Everyone- Thanks for the sympathy and advice! We don't go when others are around or we wait until no one wants to load or unload. If that guy had tied up his boat so that his boat didn't swing around on mine, I could have backed up. He was cleaning fish and I guess he only had the one rope. I have a hard time turning my head to look backwards though because I have a metal plate and 4 screws in my neck. I can't tell you how many times I have whacked my head trying to get into a car. I go to bend it and it doesn't bend or turn well.

We are pretty careful with the boat checklist and make sure the plug is in place. The winch snap is attached where we have to attach the rope on the front of the boat so he forgot to attach the rope after unhooking the winch.
    I think I am trying to go too slow when loading the boat. We go really slowly when driving the boat too. I think we troll faster than we drive the boat.

OkieDon, I am impressed that you are helping your family learn to fish. I have to tell you that I would be screaming too if a snake snuck up on me. Don't let them see the You Tube video of Bill Dance yelling when a snake crawled up out of the water and into his boat!

FishTaco, Watch that snorting! Tea is NOT good for your sinuses! :D I think you are right about the paddle wheeling. I think that is what is happening. I am going way too slow and at the wrong angle. I try to drive it straight up after aligning it in the center. When you said to come in at an angle, do you mean like a 45 degree angle with the bow going past the trailer, then turning it at the last second? I am not sure I have the right picture in my mind.

OK! I should send out PMs when we go boating. I should also send a picture of my boat so you can either run the other way or get the video camera going. Don't forget to share the money when you win with a video of our boat sinking! :D I wonder if it would make a good crappie habitat??

So when my depth finder says 8 inches deep, is it telling the truth or just bouncing off something? Maybe I need a new one. Blue Creek ramp area is really small and shallow. There wasn't much room to maneuver. We only had about 8 feet of water to get around all the people fishing too close to the ramp. We will try a bigger area next time.

Peke (hanging in there and staying out of people's way.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast