Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KY Lake and Lake Barkley both CLOSED to boaters!!

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default KY Lake and Lake Barkley both CLOSED to boaters!!

Just got news that both KY and Barkley Lakes are closed to any recreational boat traffic and the KY F&W, Coast Guard and Corps of Engineers are enforcing it. This is the first time I'm aware that this has ever happened. Looks like it is going to screw up some travel and vacation plans for many. The flooding on the lakes and rivers is bad now and getting much worse before it crests.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Read that too. Closed all the way back to Pickwick below the dam. 200 miles of river closed till May 10th so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Can fish rain dance? It's keepin a few more alive! :p

Post Thanks / Like

There is stuff floating everywhere..Went below Barkley Dam this morning to see what it looked like and the water was between 2 and 3 feet from the top of the lock walls..
    Get the excitement of unloading a barge on the Tenn. tomorrow..
    Take you kids fishing today!!! They will be grown (and married and have children of their on) tomorrow. Then you can take your GRANDKIDS!
    Podunkideas Pro Staff
    Cornfield Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I was there today just South of the I40 bridge. The water was high but the current is unlike anything I have seen. Very dangerous looking to me..

Post Thanks / Like

From Pickwick to Aurora is back open now.
    "Insanity is inherited, you get it from your kids."

Mike Epperson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure no one in their right mind would want to be on those bodies of water right now anyway with all the debris and heavy current, if your motor died you'd be in big trouble!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool I talked to the USCG

Folks, I talked to the USCG group Ohio Valley yesterday afternoon. The guy I talked to said that the saftey zone is for the main lakes and river channel and that you can fish the bays but if you leave the bay you are in violation of the safety zone.

But... I just got off the phone with the USCG abd last night they added all bays and tributaries!!! Stay off the lake!!!

Dux I have had a crappie :D signal up here or I woulda called some of ya.

USCG Group Ohio Valley 1-800-253-7465

USGG Group Ohio Valley (Marien Safety Pad Office) 270-442-1621.

Please don't bombard these guys with calls. They are pretty busy right now.

P.S. I passed a camper and a hot tub yesterday. The hot tub was a first for me.
    :D
    Last edited by Wiskers; 05-06-2010 at 09:19 AM.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a lot of stuff floating in West Sandy over the years. Best one I saw was a Johnny on the spot. You would of thought it would sink. But, it just goes to show you the chit floats.:D
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

As of today, they have reopened Kentucky lake south of the 68 bridge at Aurora/Kenlake. Barkley is still closed.

Stay tuned.. looks like they can and will change their mind by the hour.

UPDATE: Tennessee River, Cumberland River, Kentucky Lake, and Lake Barkley closed to recreational boating
    PADUCAH, Ky. - The U. S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port Ohio Valley, under authority of the Ports and Waterways Safety Act, reduced the safety zone on the Tennessee River, Tuesday, to the stretch between the Highway 68 Bridge (mile marker 41.7) through Paducah, Ky. (mile marker 0), including portions of Kentucky Lake. The Cumberland River remains closed in the vicinity of Carthage, Tenn. (mile marker 313.6) to Smithland, Ky. (mile marker 0), including Lake Barkley.

Heavy rain falls over the past weekend throughout the Tennessee Valley have necessitated record high water discharge rates from dams along both river systems, creating hazardous river conditions for recreational vessels.
    The dangers created by these high discharge rates are many, including swift river currents, heavy debris flows, spilled hazardous materials, and submerged objects including break walls, boat docks, and piers. These extreme flows have also made the navigation buoys in the area unreliable.
    Because of these dangers, all recreational vessels are restricted from operating in these areas to include bays, creeks and tributaries until the safety zone is lifted. The water levels and river conditions are being evaluated several times daily by local, state, and federal agencies.
    Persons found in violation of the safety zones can be fined under U.S. Code 33. The maximum penalty for violating a safety zone is $32,500.00. These hazardous conditions are anticipated to exist through May 10, 2010.
    Wiskers, the CG can't get it's act together and tell anyone what the official verdict is. Like you, yesterday we were told that the bays are open via the office in Louisville but the CG on the ground patrolling and issuing citations are telling the people that they stop that everything is off limits. They have even gone around yesterday and last night blockading ramps and posting signs stating such. If I were going to be north of 68, I would make darn sure that I had some form of official email from them saying that the bays were open or a phone # on my cell phone for the patrol boat to call at hq so that they could be told that themselves. One of those hefty tickets might get tossed out in federal court because of the screw up but I personally wouldn't want to have to go through the hassle. Supposedly the overzealous patrol is going to start issuing citations on the spot today. I know yesterday that they were going around with a bullhorn yelling at people fishing to get off of the water because it was unsafe.

That's our federal government at work. Finally give them a situation to deal with and they immediately hit the extreme button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast