Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crappie or Croppie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie or Croppie

I'm probably opening up a can of worms here but one of the things that always bugged me is how southern fisherman pronouce the word crappie with the crap part pronounced like crop. I've always wondered are you just too proper to say crap? Well, I know thats not true because of all the foul words I hear comin from those same guys when they lose a fish. So why do you say it that way? Do you also pronouce words like trap - trop? Do you clop your hands or clap them? Does a spark plug have a gap or a gop? When you are tired do you take a nop? I realize this is a bit Dr Zuessish, bit I'd like to hear some good reasons for this.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Well I'll bite first on this I'm from the south born and raised here all my life. And where I'm from the only people that say crop-pee are the folks from up north. We or at least the folks from around my part of the world say it like its suppose to be said--crap-pieee, not crop-pee.

And further more its peee-cans not pa-cons, just thought I'd help on that one too.:D

Anyway know matter how you say it or where you're from ain't they fun to catch and even better to eat; love them crap-op-pee's..
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default according to my Encarta dictionary

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/crappie.html

The pronunciation is KROP E (sounds like - crop ee ) Click on the speaker bar for a vocalization of the word. The way it's spelled isn't an indication of the way its spoken :D -- otherwise we'd be calling them Crap Pies

Regional dialects change the way the word is pronounced ... I use both.

And, I don't know about the "croppie" pronunciation being a "northern thing", either ....... In-Fisherman angler Al Lindner, & also Babe Winkleman (both obvious "northerners"), call them Crappie (not croppie).

It's the old "you say tow may toe - I say tow mot toe" deal.

The "etymology" (history) of the word "Crappie" ...... Canadian French "crapet" (pronounced Krah pay) - which we have "Americanized" into "crop A" & "crap E". Ain't the "English" language fun :D ....cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you Pappy

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy
    http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/crappie.html

The pronunciation is KROP E (sounds like - crop ee ) Click on the speaker bar for a vocalization of the word. The way it's spelled isn't an indication of the way its spoken :D -- otherwise we'd be calling them Crap Pies

Regional dialects change the way the word is pronounced ... I use both.

And, I don't know about the "croppie" pronunciation being a "northern thing", either ....... In-Fisherman angler Al Lindner, & also Babe Winkleman (both obvious "northerners"), call them Crappie (not croppie).

It's the old "you say tow may toe - I say tow mot toe" deal.

The "etymology" (history) of the word "Crappie" ...... Canadian French "crapet" (pronounced Krah pay) - which we have "Americanized" into "crop A" & "crap E". Ain't the "English" language fun :D ....cp
    Thanks Pappy for the schoolin, I was about to lose me lunch over reading such an ignorant thread. You have saved it with your infinate wisdom.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about in the south,but down in Fl. the word crappie is pronounced....SPECK
    On my boat I pronounce it...dink...or sometimes...lunch

Post Thanks / Like

Most dictionaries have both pronunciations. When they are biting I call them Craw Pee - the "a" pronounced like Pa, Ma, tall, small, call, mall, craw, stall, etc. but when they quit biting I call them Crap Pee. Now when I'm cooking up a mess I sure don't call them Crap Pee - just doesn't sound very appetizing.

Like CP says, it’s a regional dialect thing but not necessarily a North/South thing. I know native Minnesotans and native Georgians that pronounce it Crap Pee. It’s the same thing for the plural form of the word – some folks say crappie (for two or more) and some say crappies – I’ve found both forms correct in different dictionaries.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

There is not but one correct way to pronounce it. It is pronounced with the crop sound, not the crap sound. This subject use to make my blood boil.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Domnit Jumper, Yer Wrang

Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper
    Well I'll bite first on this I'm from the south born and raised here all my life. And where I'm from the only people that say crop-pee are the folks from up north. We or at least the folks from around my part of the world say it like its suppose to be said--crap-pieee, not crop-pee.

And further more its peee-cans not pa-cons, just thought I'd help on that one too.:D

Anyway know matter how you say it or where you're from ain't they fun to catch and even better to eat; love them crap-op-pee's..
    On both counts. I saw it in the rulebook somewhere.
    Jeff
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Post Thanks / Like

I guess that it is a regional thing, however I also agree with stumpjumper, untill I traveled north and west of NC I never heard it pronounced croppie unless it was by a furerner. I had an uncle who lived in Fla. who called them specks. I had another uncle raised here, until he made a career out of the army. His vocabulary changed, I guess because of his travels all over the world. One change was from crappie to croppie. I now prefer croppie, because of the wide use of the expletive OH CRAP! My grandkids make a negative connection between that and crappie. The problem is old habits are hard to break and I still usually pronounce it crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.m-w.com/
    Here's the link to Websters Dictionary, there's a little horn next to the word you search for an audio pronunciation.
    Shoer,
    12th Degree Ninja

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast