Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hovey Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hovey Lake

Just wandering if anyone can offer some information about this place. I came across it the other day on the internet and didnt realize it was even there. Very little information is available so i thought maybe someone could fill me in on what they think of it or maybe know about it. Good fishin'.

Post Thanks / Like

Since know one else has stepped up, I'll tell you what little I know. I was born and raised in Evansville but left there in 1965 except for visits. Hovey's is an Oxbow Lake off of the Ohio river. Located near Mt. Vernon. I believe it is HP restricted to 10 HP. Don't know about now, but several years ago it yielded good crappie in quanity and quality.

Post Thanks / Like

Hovey used to be a good crappie lake, but I don't have any recent information. I believe it closes during the winter for waterfowl hunting. I got chewed out for power-loading when my winch broke last time I went, and haven't been back in 6 or 7 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Default hovey bound

hey guys, i'm headed to hovey next sunday, i've been reading up on it and should do pretty good as long as the weather doesn't get crazy. anyways i'll let yall know how i did when i get back.

Post Thanks / Like

Im thinking i read it doesnt open up to fishing until like March 1?? Am i wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarpPoop
    Im thinking i read it doesnt open up to fishing until like March 1?? Am i wrong?
    I'm thinking it reopened yesterday, but I could be wrong as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Default its open

it opened the first

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hovey Lake

Hovey Lake is an oxbow lake form around 500 years ago by the Ohio River. The lake is located in Hovey Lake FWA, 8.3 miles south of Mt. Vernon on SR 69. Excellent fishing opportunities exist for white crappie and channel catfish. Other species include bluegill, freshwater drum, blue catfish, redear sunfish, sauger, common carp, flathead catfish, largemouth bass, black crappie and white bass.

dschoen894 Guest

Hovey has made a comeback. About 7 years ago it was as good as dead. No crappie, no bluegill, basically nothing but catfish. Speculation was the new gate at the back had caused so much silting that fishing was dead. I fished there every year and had about given up(originally from Mt. Vernon). Then in the fall about 6 years ago I started catching tons of runts. The next year bigger but still small. By the next year keepers. Last year and the previous it was as good as ever. If you are going soon, fish the main channel through the trees and back into the drain - to your right as you come off the boat ramp. In April or even March if it has been fairly warm, fish the North bank up to where the old launch used to be or fish Dry Lake. In June and beyond, fish the treess directly across from the boat launch and off to your right (Cypress). The limit is 10hp, and they have maps at the launch although their hours are kind of sketchy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Map of Hovey's Lake

I think I have a map of Hovey that I scanned into my hard drive: Well it's just a map of the area near the headquarters on the SW side of the lake. Hovey's is about 1300 acres in size now since they built the new dam on the Ohio River just downstream of the drain.

I'll make a scan of the map that I have and upload it to photobucket along with this map that I have on my harddrive and post it as a edit to this post

Last edited by Moose1am; 02-20-2006 at 11:01 PM.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast