Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: where to go ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default where to go ?

I was planning on taking my son to ky lake readear fishing fri and sat but ,i dont think thats a good idea now .Is there anywhere within a couple of 100 miles of cincinnati that did not get the rain .Any suggestions??

Thanks Jon

Post Thanks / Like

Jon, you might try Dogwood lake near Washington Indiana. It is known locally for having a great red ear population. 10 HP motor limit I believe. Someone on the Indiana board said they were catching good numbers of gills/ red ears there a week ago. We were spared the heavy rain...we only had 1-2 inches of rain here over the weekend.

HHD
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Jon, I only know ....

Quote Originally Posted by FSHNJON View Post
    I was planning on taking my son to ky lake readear fishing fri and sat but ,i dont think thats a good idea now .Is there anywhere within a couple of 100 miles of cincinnati that did not get the rain .Any suggestions??

Thanks Jon
    .... of one lake that has decent Shellcrackers, and wouldn't have flooded from the rains. That would be Cedar Creek Lake, in KY. I can't guarantee anything, as far as catching goes ... but, the lake has good sized Shellcracker, Bluegill, Largemouth Bass, & Channel Catfish. The Black Crappie in it, are not big ... but, it's full of them.

It would be pretty easy to get to, from Cincy. Mapquest a route from Cincy to Stanford, Ky. Just before you get to Stanford, take a left onto Hwy150 & that will take you right across the dam at Cedar Creek. (You'll see the lake , shown on the Mapquest map, by zooming in on Hwy150 ... about 3/4 of the way between Standford & Crab Orchard, Ky.) The turn off to the ramp at the dam, is just around the bend in the road, after you pass over the dam. Turn right at the launch ramp sign, then right again when that road comes to a T ... you'll go right straight to the ramp/parking area.
    Depending on traffic, & where in Cincy you start from ... it should take you about 3hrs. It can & will get crowded, especially on a weekend (it's only a 700+ acre lake)

Here's some links to sites that will show you about Cedar Creek Lake (KY) :

» Cedar Creek Lake Fishing Report (current report is 2wks old, but may be updated before you go ... and look at the "Blog", "fish photos", & "Lake Photos" links, for a better understanding of what this lake has to offer)

KY: Kentucky Dept Fish and Wildlife - (also has overview map of lake)

Ky Dept of Fish and Wildlife Waterbody Info

Most of the time, when I'm fishing there for Bluegill/Shellcracker ... I'm using a pinch of nightcrawler (under a slipfloat) and fishing the 6-8ft depths. That's usually where they range, when spawning. You "could" use minnows ... but, if you do, bring plenty :p because the Bass, Cats, Crappie, and most of the other fish in this lake "LOVE 'EM" :D (you won't get much fishing done, because you'll be baiting up your boy's hook every couple of minutes :D )

There are no campgrounds on the lake ... so, if you plan on staying the weekend, I'd check the web for motels in the area. There's also no fish cleaning stations, so take that into consideration

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cedar is way up

CP,

Drove over the dam at Cedar Creek this morning on the way to work. Water is over the concrete overflow in the lake and is right at the parking lot at the ramp by the dam. I would say it has came up 8 feet or so over the weekend.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks for that report ...

Quote Originally Posted by hydraslab View Post
    CP,

Drove over the dam at Cedar Creek this morning on the way to work. Water is over the concrete overflow in the lake and is right at the parking lot at the ramp by the dam. I would say it has came up 8 feet or so over the weekend.
    ... I'm sure it will recede back down pretty quickly, though ... since the overflow is wide open (most all the time).

Man ... I bet the fish in Cedar Creek are having a field day, munching down on all those bugs & worms :p
    Hopefully, this quick rise will flush out all the trash that the bank anglers leave behind ... that would be a good thing

... cp