Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ranger boats

Post Thanks / Like

Default ranger boats

looking for a 90's early or late any 600 model ranger really want a 617 or 681 ,, also will a toyoya tacoma prerunner trd v6 pull these boats,, i really dont think the wife would be really thrilled about a new boat an also new truck

Post Thanks / Like

my girl would welcome both as long as we had the money. In my honest opinion, I think bigger boats are better off with a v-8. I know some people have pulled them for ages with a 6, but thats just my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

I would think you would want a full size truck for a fiberglass boat. I have seen a lot of small truck and some cars start to get the boat out of the water and just sit and spin their tires. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 4.3 Jimmy and an 18' bass boat. Towed it with a friends v8 a while back. Big difference. Go V8 if you can swing it, you wont be disappointed. My next will be an 8.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2010 toyota tacoma V6 and it pulls my 17 ft Fiberglass Ranger just fine. It has the towing package so it can pull 6500 lbs. It pulls it no problem. No need for another truck in my opinion. Mine also has the electronic differential lock that I can engage at the ramp if I ever spin my tires. I think most people spin because they have bad tires or lily pads on the boat ramp. One tip I learned. If there are lily pads on the ramp use you foot to push them out of the way. If your tires are spinning on lily pads, it's a losing proposition.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have a 617DVS and my Dodge Ram 3.7 V6 handles it fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2009 Ranger 1760VS Angler that I pull with a 2006 crew cab Chevrolet Z71 V8 and it pulls the boat fine. My main concern even though most Rangers come with trailer brakes is stopping on a short notice. Please keep in mind how much your boat weighs versus the vehicle you are towing it with. Just my two cents. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

you have to think about how long you want your truck to last also, some v-6 will pull them fine as mentioned, but the life of the truck probably wont last as long.

Post Thanks / Like

Towing a larger boat with a V6 means an accelerated maitainence schedule and iffy panic stops!

Sure your V6 may pull it all fine and good... but how does it stop it?

Big boat=

big engine, and big tow vehicle!!!

Yes, your V6 may pull and stop it fine under normal circumstances... but you should think about the emergency stops and abnormal conditions as well, i.e steep, slick, icy ramps!!!

3/4 ton 4x4 and you don't have to worry!

An overkill on the tow vehicle is cheap insurance!!!

Match your boat to your tow vehicle if you don't want to upgrade your vehicle to your boat... if you have enough money for a Ranger, you have enough money for a proper tow vehicle!!

Post Thanks / Like

the type of boat he is referring to is not what I would call a "larger boat".

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    Towing a larger boat with a V6 means an accelerated maitainence schedule and iffy panic stops!

Sure your V6 may pull it all fine and good... but how does it stop it?

Big boat=

big engine, and big tow vehicle!!!

Yes, your V6 may pull and stop it fine under normal circumstances... but you should think about the emergency stops and abnormal conditions as well, i.e steep, slick, icy ramps!!!

3/4 ton 4x4 and you don't have to worry!

An overkill on the tow vehicle is cheap insurance!!!

Match your boat to your tow vehicle if you don't want to upgrade your vehicle to your boat... if you have enough money for a Ranger, you have enough money for a proper tow vehicle!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast