Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hair jigs

When I started crappie fishing 15 years ago. I used Slaters hair jigs. I had many various sizes and colors. I however, noticed most days I caught more fish using tube jigs. I wonder why? It just seems some days hair jigs were tough to get a bite on; and you know the fish are there. I'm thinking of buying alot of them soon..hair jigs that is.

What manufacturer of hair jigs do you buy from?

I noticed that Mr. Tom and Darryl M. are making some good looking jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

My fishing partner and I make our own jigs also
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs

I BUY A FEW FROM TRI-STATE LURES IN KY.
    270-642-2569---DON,T KNOW IF THEY HAVE A CATALOG OR NOTAS I ONLY BUY THIS ONE COLOR THAT I USE HERE IN FL.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigs

FP; I've found that what the fish bite is determined mostly by the temp. In the winter when they aren't real aggressive, I catch alot more on hair jigs. On the other hand, in spring and summer they won't hardly hit a hair and only want tubes (I guess they want more action). I buy my hair jigs locally.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Mo'n Back somewhat. I have caught more on tube jigs in every season of the year. The only time I have had some success on hair jigs though has been in the winter when the water temp was cold and the fish were not real aggressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Default hair jigs

Here in Kansas we have found that hair jigs seem to work the best in winter. Last year I ordered some from Canada and although they look good( char and black) them were a little big and I have trimmed them down some (hair to thick and long). Seems like the smaller they are the better they work and usually the big slabs just inhale them and you really have to watch your line to know you have a hit. We are looking for some place to buy some but are having a hard time finding what we want. There was a guy in Oklahoma that made so really nice ones but he retired and no longer makes them. If anybody has an outlet that they are willing to share let us know....
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Post Thanks / Like

I mainly use plastic tubes and grubs, but one things I've always found hair jigs good for is a super slow presentation. Its seems that stiff hair jigs seem to have more drag in the water and can be fished slower.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Mo- I tie my own hair jigs and usually fish them 8o percent of the time. They are alittle bigger than what you buy elsewhere. I have cut out the mold to accept a # 2 hook while the head is only 1/32. My favorite color is black and chartruse. I wish I could post pics but I 'm not much on this thing! We fish Barkley Lake in Tennessee and I usually come in with as many if not more than anyone there. I've had guys tell me that they're to small to use in the spring down there but they do work for me and its alot of fun to fish with your own jigs. I prefer to fish them over stake beds when the lake is on the rise .I float them under a 1/2" bobber. The crappie grab them and don't let go! Just my opinion but I love em!

Wardy Guest

OK..., If a fella wants to tie some of his own...., How do ya hold the skirt material on the hook while you tie? I have all the goodies, vice etc..etc.... And about how long of skirt do you start with figuring in any trimming?

Post Thanks / Like

a good rule of thumb i follow for tail length is on size 8 hooks place your index finger parallel to the jig( tip of your finger beside the head) and the end of your tail will be at the first nuckle on your finger. For size 6 hooks and up repeat the process except place the tip of your finger in the bend of the hook and extend the tail out to the first nuckle of your index finger. I hope this helps, by using the above process you can replicate the size of tails on all your jigs creating an appealing final product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast