Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble Cranking Motor Please Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trouble Cranking Motor Please Help

I have a Mercury 150 XR6 that is less than a year old. It will not crank once you get to the lake. I thought it was just because it was cold natured, but it does the same thing in the middle of the summer. After about 15 or 20 mins. it will start. Here is the funny part. After you get it started and run to your first fishing spot, it's fine. It will start like a car with one small turn of the key everytime the rest of the day. That's why I think that it is something simple or something that I'm doing wrong. I'm sure someone here on the board can help. Thanks for any help or suggestions that you may have for me to try!
    A&R JIGS - PRO STAFF
    LIGHTWIRE HOOKS - PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

Well I cant say for sure, but our Evinrude 60 just did the same thing. Turned out to be the fuel pump.

As long as we squeezed the fuel bulb, we could crank it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Try this!

I have a brand new Yamaha 60 two-stroke, and I was having problems with getting it to crank but after it did, it would crank off at the toucch of the switch. Well now I dont have that problem anymore! I was doing something wrong myself, not the motors fault. When you get ready to start your engine, push in your key and hold it in a few seconds and then turn it over. This will choke the engine and it should help. I was pushing in the key and turning the switch all at the same time. Push it in first then wait a few sec. then try to crank it. Not sure if it will help but its worth a try. I feel so much better about my motor now that I figured out how I should crank the darn thing:D
    Brandon Jennings
    Bayou Crappie ETC

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Charger. I'd be checkin out the fuel pump or the primer bulb itself.
    Paul -- Team Crappie Stalker

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 84' evenirude 90horse. It is cold collared usually. But if I prime the bulbs first and put the throttle about 2/3 and push the choke a couple of times. It usually starts up the first time I might have to choke it a couple of more times in the first few seconds of starting it. Also the tune up and new sparke plug probably helped some.:D
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, mine did the same thing. It was the fuel pump. I would suggest buying a new fuel pump instead of rebuilding.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a bad bulb loosing pressure
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure your primer bulb gets as hard as a rock. If you're having a hard time after you initially start it and run to a new spot, check if the primer bulb is still hard. If not, you more than likely have a pin hole in it. A new bulb is an easy/cheap fix. Good luck. FishnFed.

Post Thanks / Like

I would assume that you know that the Merc's have an electric choke or fuel enrichment? As you crank the motor when cold, you must push in on the key switch to activate it. Once it starts you sometimes have to push it in a couple times to keep it running. If you are aware of this, maybe that function isn't working properly. With the motor hood off and the key switch to on, you should hear a soleniod click when you push in on the key. Please disregard this post if you have been using that function.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is less than a year old, it should still be under warranty. I would let the dealer take care of that problem.
    Have a crappie day!:D [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast