Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Where are you Reaper ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where are you Reaper ??

I am wondering where you been must be working to much

Post Thanks / Like

Yes BG, got to work when work is available. I talked to a Corp employee about the bamboo I dropped in Talala Creek. He had asked me if I had set any out. I said, yeppers, dropped over 50 stalks in 8 buckets 17-18' tall.
    He told me a friend of his came across one the other day, brought him some leaves off of it and asked him what it was. He said that he caught several very nice fish off of it. They have only been out a little over a month and have not had time to develope algae yet. I checked them out about two weeks ago and only caught a few off of a couple of them. Now that my GPS is Trashed, I might have trouble locating a couple of them, but, if you are watching the graph, and it goes from 20' deep, to 3' deep, then toss out a marker. You have found one of them. I plan to grab up more bamboo the next time I head to Hot Springs Village and do it again. This time, I think I am going to sink them N of Wigganon bridge to try and house some of the fish that never recieve any pressure. I should be able to go fishing in perhaps another week. I have to tie some new jigs up, last three trips out, jigs were the ticket. I caught fish as fast as I could sink the jig. I sure wish I had a better boat, I would start a guide service on Oologah in a heartbeat. Get ready for some Monster Slab pics from the fish I will catch off Oologah this Spring. It should be a blast! I need a set of 4 lbers to mount!
    CR
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

So you're the one who planted those? We thought it was willow trees at first when we pulled up some leaves. My brother works for the corps, he was fishing with me and kept some of the leaves, so he is probably the guy you were referring to. And yes, we caught some nice fish off of it, thanks .

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, yep, there are a total of 8 condos out there in Talala Creek. Try to keep them to yourselves as in time, they will be found out by many. I am wondering which one you were catching fish off of. Are you familliar with the submerged boulders off the bluff? One of the hottests spots in all of Talala Creek. I have one just south of that off the bluff in about 20' of water. Next time I have time to fish Falcon, we'll have to try to hook up to fish Talala. I have more structure ready to sink, but haven't had the time to do so yet. What sizes were the "nice fish"? The fish I was catching last three trips out there averaged around 11". I have yet to catch a fish over 2 lbs since last spawn. I am constantly hunting them, and use my spots as backups to make sure I come home with some fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Any time I can just throw a fish in the livewell and don't have to bother with measurement, I consider that a "nice fish". This usually ends up being at least 10.5" - I try to stick to 10" minimum even though you don't have to on Oologah. I would say we caught about 10 fish off this particular pile that were 11 inches or better, the biggest might have been 12.5.

I'm not sure about the boulders, I've probably come across them thinking they were brushpiles and then wondered why I couldn't snag any brush. There were two of these piles pretty close to each other in about 19'. They were along a south bank in Talala, after you make the big turn that points you toward the main lake (facing east). We had not passed the big bluff that faces west but we were within shouting distance of it.

Post a message here next time you decide to hit Talala and I'll see if I can make it. I've been looking for a 2+ pounder for over a year now, I used to catch several a year but I guess I've been in a slump. Last year I caught alot of 1.7 and 1.8 pounders but nothing over 2. My biggest on Oologah is 2.6.

Post Thanks / Like

You are a good man Crappie reaper keep up the good work. I will be on the lake soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I know which ones

[QUOTE=falcon] There were two of these piles pretty close to each other in about 19'. QUOTE]

I think I know the two you were fishing. I had come across a couple of suspended fish in the area while slow trolling the area throughout the summer and fall. I figured with the depth that it might be a decent spot to drop a couple off for some year round action. If I am right, it should also become a staging area for some of the bigger Crappie when they start to move closer to the shallows to spawn. They really stand out when you pass over them with a graph huh? LOL, it's like the biggest brushpile ever according to a graph. Here's what they looked like before I unfurled them and sunk them.
    http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/9859/p10100081dk.jpg
    Here's a pic of them after I brought the Boo back from Hot Springs Village.
    And, a picture of me ebay boat, so you will recognize me when I am on Oologah.
    http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/6991/p10100065to.jpg
    I had to wrap all the bamboo like a christmas tree with twine for shipping purposes. I left them wrapped until I had them in the boat ready to sink. I cut the twine before I left the ramp and let the rest hang out the back of the boat while hunting locations to drop. The leaves will stay on for about a year, maybe longer. They should last alot longer than conventional brush. I used about 2/3rd's bag of quickcrete per bucket. When I dropped them, because the bamboo floats, they stand on their own. They drop like a parachute, I only helped keep it somewhat straight.
    Here's what I still have yet to drop, it will be dropped in more shallow areas back in the creek away from the standing timber.
    http://img304.imageshack.us/img304/2339/p10100018zg.jpg
    I have already built up my bucket supply to ten right now, and will have around 10 more in two weeks. One of my best friends is a painter that follows me after I trim a house. He saves all the buckets for me. I have no problem sharing any of my spots as I believe that any decent spot will refill once it's been fished hard. Talala Creek probably has more people fishing for Crappie than any other one spot on the lake. I have not found much brush placed by others and thought that I needed to do it myself. I have met a couple of guys who have sunk some stuff out on the main lake around the point from Talala Creek. They have not seemed to pleased whenever I am close to them. They can have their spots and are welcome to fish mine as well. Oologah holds so many Crappie I really don't think it matters.
    And when the people start fishing that only fish the spawn, you know, the 30+ boats that anchor off on the channel near the standing timber, I will be working the trees and my bamboo boating the heck out of nice Crappie, while they catch the occassional passer by.
    Good fishing all!
    CR

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I know what you mean, spring used to be my favorite time of year to catch crappie but I'm not so sure anymore. Seems like Oologah gets more crowded every year. Nothing like showing up at Talala and having to park a half mile from the ramp. It's funny, those people that anchor on the bluffs back in the timber, I usually go in there and fish the timber right across from them that no one is paying attention to, and do pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

reapper, when you get time, we need to hook up and trade a few spots on oolgahoo.

BIG G. that goes for you too on trading some spots on the lake.

red...

Post Thanks / Like

No Problem Red, I usualy fish more than work. But, work calls for now. I might have a day between this job and the next one. I guess I'll find out.