Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whether Or Not To Weather The Weather

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whether Or Not To Weather The Weather

Today was one of those days you find yourself trying to decide whether or not to go out because of the weather. With the Weather Guessers calling for 70% chances of thunderstorms and this morning's radar showing scattered showers with a heavy line of thundershowers west of us and moving our way I didn't figure we'd get much fishing in.

But, my crew wandered down to the dock about 9:00 and decided to give it a try since there was no lightning in the area and only intermittent light to moderate showers. We all suited up in our rain gear but the rain quit as we headed down the lake and the most precipitation we had for the next five hours was a few sprinkles.

And with the approaching front the bite was on! Our best two were 16.5 and 17-inches:

We also had several in the 13/15-inch range and all the 10/12-inch "eaters" we wanted to clean:

We probably released another 20 or more short fish so they could grow up. My crew was real glad they decided to give it a try!

I don't recommend being on the water if there is any lightning around but it sure doesn't hurt to head for the lake even if the weather isn't looking too promising because you never know when it's going to turn out a lot better than expected.

I highly recommend Garmin's My Cast service for your cell phone. With it you can pin-point your location and view live radar in motion to watch for approaching storm cells. It also plots lightning strikes so you can tell if there is any lightning in approaching cells and several other useful features that come in very handy in the Great Outdoors. One day last week we went out between showers three times and got back to the dock each time just before another gully-washer came through, thanks to My Cast.

It's storming real good right now - glad I'm at home and not on the water.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great catch. Hope you have your hidey hole stocked. There is a reported tornado in north Pike Co, north of Glenwood and heading into Mongomery Co.
    Quit complaining about the color, just pull up your skirt and fish! -- snagged

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking catch Jerry, congrats!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job Jerry. I want to get back down there to see you real Bad. Don't know if I can afford you now though...LOL been a while and I see your rates have changed. Any discount for a 3 time offender?
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Jerry, can you tell us more about how to get the My Cast feature for your phone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PIGINTHEPIGPEN View Post
    Awesome job Jerry. I want to get back down there to see you real Bad. Don't know if I can afford you now though...LOL been a while and I see your rates have changed. Any discount for a 3 time offender?
    Sure, I'll give you my three-peat discount! The best thing to do is round up 3 or 4 buddies and all come together to share expenses. I usually run a "Cool Weather Special" in November, December and January that knocks off a good bit too.

Of course you need to bring the little lady again - she's always full of surprises!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake View Post
    Sure, I'll give you my three-peat discount! The best thing to do is round up 3 or 4 buddies and all come together to share expenses. I usually run a "Cool Weather Special" in November, December and January that knocks off a good bit too.

Of course you need to bring the little lady again too - she's always full of surprises!
    I have a Bday in mid November. I will tell beth that's what I want for my present. If she comes I will have her bring a couple of those good uns with her. Thanks Jerry and take care,
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad View Post
    Jerry, can you tell us more about how to get the My Cast feature for your phone?
    Hey badbrad:

It's an application on Verizon phones. If you have a Verizon phone go to "Media Center" and scroll down to and click on "Browse and Download", connect and scroll down to and click on "Weather". Then select "My-Cast Weather" and follow the prompts.

I had the Weather Channel on my Alltel phone and it was good too but My-Cast has more useful features IMO. It's $3.99 a month - well worth it to me. Of course you need a solid cell phone signal for it to work and there are a few places on Greeson where I can't connect but not many.

By the way, do you recognize these characters?

FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

My best friend and fishing buddy can say this. Our biggest crappie and slab bluegills, even blue cats we caught during rain and stormy weather.

I don't know why but over the years we have gone crazy and think we won't get hit by the lightning or those pesky little dime or nickel size hail stones cannot penetrate our hardcore fishing armor!

but we live for the big spring storms and will keep fishing them. We won't take the boat out and we try to fish low land bottoms here around Marked Tree or Payneway during the storms.

but... we have caught our biggest bluegill, crappie and blue cats when the storms are approaching or during the hardest part.

Our families think we are nuts but they gasp at the huge fish we bring home amidst the nightmare they think they are enduring, with the weather radio going and getting out the candles in case the power is lost...

lol. Yes we might be nuts but yes we bring home the 60lb blues and 3lb bluegills and 3lb crappie during this nightmare.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-30-2010 at 11:28 PM. Reason: language

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

3lb bluegills..... I'd really like to see some pictures of you holding a few of those rascals. :rolleyes: They'd have to be at least 15" or more wouldn't they?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast