Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scenario

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scenario

Wanted to see what everyone thought on the scenario that's unfolding this weekend. We are forecast to get between 3 and 6" of rain, so high water on the lakes is to be expected. Given the fact that most crappie have spawned and no longer on the banks, how will this high water effect the fish. Will they scatter and stay at certain depth, or will they remain on whatever structure they are currently holding on and just be deeper?

Also, If the rivers and drainages are full from all the rain, will they have to hold the water for a while till the water tables drop? In my limited experience a drastic pull on the water affects the fish in a negative way, a slight pull isn't to bad. What's everyone's opinion?

I'm planning a trip next Friday and trying to formulate a game plan.

Post Thanks / Like

badbrad, I feel you man, we are expecting a lot of rain as well. Sometimes this much rain makes fishing terrible, but sometimes I have slaughtered the fish. It is really hard to tell what it will do. Wish I could be of more help.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the two keys will be water temperature and clarity. I would look just outside the muddy water and if that did not work go deeper looking for structure.
    Jim (Ike) Isaac - San Diego CA

Purveyor of sea stories, fish tales
    and other prevarications.

Post Thanks / Like

Our fish haven't spawned from what we see...the eggs aren't even close to ready. We did catch a ton of females that didn't look full at all, but then we cut them open and they had eggs. And, we are just starting to catch them shallow. But, as far as fishing...even if you don't catch many fish, it beats working!

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how fast the lake levels rise. If they come up gradual the Crappie will stay on the structure where they are and will hold tighter. If it comes up pretty fast then they will move deeper along a drop off or deeper structure and sometimes will actually sit on the bottom of the lake with their bellies touching the bottom. After the lake settles for a day or two they will move back to normal depths. When the Lake starts to recede they will move out to deeper water again. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Fish know when a bad storm is coming and will hunker down in deeper water the day before and stay there during the storm.

If there is heavy current they will stay deeper and move to current breaks, fish for them on the lee side of points, humps, and other structure. Fish with the current, not against it. The fish will face into the current and wait for food to be washed down to them. You'll also be able to get your offerings down deeper with less weight when fishing with the current.

Post Thanks / Like

i aint messin with it this weekend. my home lake is pouring over the emergency spillway and still on the rise.

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping for 3", 6" being the worst scenario. My rain gauge holds 5" and is overflowing. Don't know what time it filled up last night. Bad thing is, it's still raining. As much as I hate to, I may have to look at postponing the trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big water coming

Ky lake is gonna go over 365 by this thursday.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wiskers View Post
    Ky lake is gonna go over 365 by this thursday.
    Crap. My new boat dock walkway is under water now. I ain't got the wood sealed yet.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast