Post Thanks / Like

Default white bass galore

The White Bass Are Spawning In False River. Went Yesterday
    And Caught 87

Post Thanks / Like

First off...Welcome to the forums colen....thanks for the report
    There's nothing like feeling that THUMP...FISH ON

Post Thanks / Like

What part of the state is false river located in? I've heard it mentioned before but never been there myself. Also curious what you caught them on? jigs or shiners?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Team M&M View Post
    What part of the state is false river located in? I've heard it mentioned before but never been there myself. Also curious what you caught them on? jigs or shiners?
    False River is located at New Roads, La..... along Hwy. 1 .......close to the Mississippi River.....about 15 mi NW of Baton Rouge......another lake....Old River is about 10 mi North of New Roads close to hwy 1.....good crappie lake....

What is white bass??????

PS
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colen View Post
    And Caught 87
    welcome Colen......what part of False River(main lake, flats or canals)....and what is white bass????
    The "King" is coming

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce most people from the lower part of the state call the striped bass. You know, those little yellow fish with the black stripes.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PawPaw "gene" View Post
    Bruce most people from the lower part of the state call the striped bass. You know, those little yellow fish with the black stripes.
    "gene"
    thanks Gene.....I cannot remember ever catching many of those.....if any....I just got back from Bass Pro and yesterday it was Cabellas and Academy......trying to get my gear in shape for a trip out....either out of town company or the wind has kept me close to home.....my boat sits so high and with the windshield it acts like a sailboat so I try to pick my days....looks now like it may be next Tuesday before we have a clear day.....

anxious to try out my new jigs......got me some curly tails also...

Bruce
    The "King" is coming

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I kinda know what you mean about the wind. I'm not even going to attempt to launch this week end. I think Linda and I will take to the roads and do some sightseeing and visiting, might even make it an overnighter. Maybe the following weekend will be better.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by colen View Post
    And Caught 87
    Colen -
    I'd be really careful about keeping all those fish (If indeed you did). There are a lot of hybrids in False River, and the possession limit on them is five per day.
    And as a fisherman, you are required to know the difference between them and white bass.
    And just FYI, white bass don't spawn in lakes, only in flowing water. Sounds to me like you got into a BUNCH of shad-eating hybrids. How big were your fish?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Gene, Don't take this the wrong way because I am not sure, but I think you may have your fish mixed up. The one you are describing sounds like what we call a yellow bass. We catch some over at Larto and I have caught a couple in Laccassine pool. This is what they look like.

I think the white bass he is talking about is actually a white bass, similar looking to the yellow bass, but more white in color. Here is a pic of the white bass. I have never caught one down here. Well anywhere's actually.

this is not my pic, it is linked from http://mountainriverjournal.wordpress.com
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast