Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: were has sporting goods gone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default were has sporting goods gone?

Is it just the walmart that I go to or is all the walmart sporting good dept getting smaller and carrying less merchandise. my buddy works for walmart in dallas and they dont really have a sporting goods dept. wonder why they're thinning it out if that is what they're doing?

Post Thanks / Like

I hear that. Even in NE Ohio the sporting goods are small at Walmart. I went to K-Mart and it was like 6 aisles bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are lucky enough to have a sporting goods manager at your Wal-Mart who is a sportsman, then the selections are usually bigger and better. However if the manager is not a sports person, then well you get little to none. I know a lot of the Wal-Marts around here right now are updating the stores and making a lot of changes. Do not know if this will be good or bad.

Post Thanks / Like

As of last year {Sept.} Fishing Tackle Retailer mag.'s article "The Big Boxes"? detailed Wal-Marts new plan to thin out 80% of their tackle nationwide and replace it with athletic sporting goods, citing unacceptable turnover/profit from fishing related items. The remaining 20% were only selected within 25 miles of major fishing areas....sounds like Wally huh?
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

You could find better prices and selection at any good bait shop even before they started down sizing.

Post Thanks / Like

I buy all my stuff online now or from local bait provider. we also have a wholesaler here in town and That is my go to place.

Post Thanks / Like

no profit then it go's is wal-mart stand, better selection's at bait shops and good price's check out jigs at easy elmoe's ot patoka lake

Post Thanks / Like

well I am anti walmart for the most part and try to buy locally. but they have made it so convenient to go in and get what ya need. plus if you miss church on sunday, just got to the local wally and just catch up with everyone there.

Post Thanks / Like

around here they ran all mom and pop tackle stores out of business and now they dont carry hardly anything themselves, hope some of the old stores come back now

Post Thanks / Like

First some background. Spent 10 years of my life as a Sporting Goods manager for the WalMart in Gallatin, TN.

Now on to the good part.

When I Started as sporting goods manager, I was fishing darn near every day. My manager knew that and gave me free rein to do as I pleased:D . I went in and ordered to my needs. Being on Old Hickory, ordered Rockfish, Crappie, Bass, supplies, etc. Had a great relationship with my outside suppliers, Guns, Lures, Bait, etc... My sales increase in my first month was 160%!

Now on to the bad part.

Due to the managers who ran departments without any knowledge ordering what the sales reps told them to order, WalMart in their infinite wisdom, took away the ability to order ANYTHING other than store planning items.

Needless to say, sales immediately took a nosedive.

So don't blame your local store, blame the Home office.

There, had my say. thanks.

Joe Hiller
    "The cost of a man's mistakes is directly proportional to his age."

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast