Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Sterile Hybrid Crappie Ruin a Pond?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can Sterile Hybrid Crappie Ruin a Pond?

A friend owns a 3/4 acre pond. Max depth 18', both east and west banks are 8' right off the bank. North and south ends are shallow, approx 1' to 3' deep. He stocked it with sterile crappie several years ago. I didn't know the people then. The crappie eventually died out, probably from old age. The owner seldom fishes or knows much about fishing, but his kids caught them up to 18" while they were in there.

I started fishing the pond about a year ago. Haven't had much luck, but usually I get 3 or 4 decent size bluegill down there whenever I go, and a few small bass, biggest about 14". The owner was surprised there was a bass in there that big. 2 grass carp abt 15 lbs to control algae. There's not any stunted bluegill in there.

Anybody think the crappie had an adverse effect on the pond?

Post Thanks / Like

The Hybred aka Magnolia Crappie can't reproduce so how could it take over a pond? Osmosis? Black Crappie work in small ponds also and will reproduce. But if you put a White Crappie in a small pond and it reproduces, it is a WRAP on that body of water. Get you a few nice Black NOSED black Crappie and put them in...Or just some black crappie. The Magnolia Crappies will cost you a lot more and they can't reproduce. Whatever you do DO NOT put White Crappie in there.

Wat's the baitfish situation> If the fish don't have food supply in their FIRST year then they will be small.

Post Thanks / Like

A pond that small is not really suitable for any crappie I would not think. I use to fish a few ponds that size and the crappie ruined them.

Post Thanks / Like

well not all ponds are the same, I have white,black,blacknosed crappie in my pond, 1surface acer. lots of brush piles, bass, some as big a 3lb, hybird blue gill, up to a 1lb. channell cat, up to 8 lb. we and the neighbours catch good fish every week and have for 4 years now, so it managed right and harvested often you wont have a problem, or at least we havent. I feed 3 nights a week all they want to eat. seems to help

Post Thanks / Like

of course if you can manage to feed them regularly, it would certainly help the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Besides bass, I put a couple of flathead cats per acre in my ponds, keeps the crappie in check.

Post Thanks / Like

So why put a black crappie and not a white crappie? What's the difference?

Peke

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason the black crappie (especially the black nosed crappie) seem to not breed as much as a white crappie. Why? Don't have a clue. I'm sure Black Crappie can over run a body of water but i have not seen it nearly as bad as what some white crappie can do to a lake...

Post Thanks / Like

We have stocked black crappie in two different small lakes/ponds..Both are doing great..We catch regularly crappie from 9-11 inches..I had talked the local dnr bioligist whether not to stock black crappie in ponds..He said it can a crap shot..It helps if you a good quality of bass in the lake..He told me don't take any bass out of the lake..The bass sort of keep the crappie population down...Also, flatheads I would think help keep the crappie population down...Keep every crappie you catch that is worth cleaning..

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

We have black crappie in our 1 acre pond and they do pretty well. Pond is about 15 yrs old and the average crappie we catch is around 11 or 12 inches with a few up to 15 or so. We make sure to keep quite a few (80-100 usually) each year and I think that helps keep the size up. There were a few years early on, when we didn't keep many and the average size was a lot smaller, like 7 or 8 inches. We also have a good largemouth population to keep them in check and like JCD, we don't harvest any bass.
    "Give me crappie, or give me death"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast