Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How long do beds take to attract fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How long do beds take to attract fish?

New member on board here. Quick question.

How long will it normally take from the time you put out a bed, will it be before you start catching fish on it?

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard some people say they caught fish the next day on it and have heard some people say it might take a month or longer. I think there are so many variables it all depends.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably will help once the algae grows on it. I think they will move in as soon as the next day and have had that happen with boo, but plastic and stuff with no leaves may need the algae to really set up for business.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

I would think...Lot of depends on location..If you drop the cover in prime area where crappie are associated with...Probably will increases the chances of catching fish on it sooner...But, yeah pvc will take a while...I think like brush piles and bamboo etc...Probably wouldn't take long before they are on them..

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

Trimmings from apple, pear, peach, well, most any fruit tree pretty much works instantly. They contain a sap which attracts minnows, which in turn attracts fish. Cedar trees actually repel fish until the resin breaks down.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who swears by using bacon grease on the wood before you submerge. I think he is pulling my leg, but he says that makes the algae grow real fast on the wood.

D
    My Wife Fillets The Fish! I am a fortunate man.

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught fish out of some the next day and have some I have NEVER caught fish out of. Most of the time I expect to be a week or more before I catch any real numbers out of one.
    www.Crappiepredator.com
    www.Rendlakefishingguides.com
    618-472-4763

Post Thanks / Like

The quickest thing that I've had them get on was a bamboo condo. 18 hours later we caught 5, each weighing one and a quarter pound.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to catch fish on a stakebed quick, put it out close to one of your hotspots. Crappie are already going in that general area and many times will make a stop in other cover that's close by.

I try to keep these stakebeds with anywhere from 50-75 stakes fairly close together so it won't be easy to find. If you put it off to the side, a lot of people will head right past it as they are headed to the honeyhole.

It's a good idea to protect honey holes by not fishing them when others are around. I know some will find them but I have no intention of making it easy for them. I love moving up to a spot the last 30 minutes of the day after watching boats go within yards of it all day and pulling 6-7 nice keepers in about 15 minutes. Saved many a trip when everyone else was loading their boat.

Anything I catch right away is a bonus. I put stakes out in the spring to catch bass in the summer (algae has grown) and crappie in the fall. First spring I expect to do pretty well, the 2nd year should really see them move in if they are going too.