Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil spill effects

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil spill effects

What is this oil spill going to do to the fishing in the south. I was going to make a trip down south in 2 weeks not sure i am going to do it any more. what's yawls thoughts.

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Gene if you're going to the Southwest you will be OK. The Southeast might have a little problem depending on the wind and tides but then that depends on where you heading. Inshore fishing for reds and specks should be OK.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

I concur with PPG -
    Stay inside and away from the large coastal bays, especially east of the river.
    The waves and natural weathering should have it busted up pretty good, but some of it will almost assuredly reach the coast.
    Incidentally, the lawsuits from affected commercial fishermen who have not yet been affected have begun. Doncha just lovit?
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

You just know they will try to turn this into a political football. The supposed victims want the millions in cash, and those who will help the supposed victims want the cash to help the victims get the cash. And the "green" group want the money to stop the drilling and etc, etc, etc.

All in all the redfish, the trout and the shrimp swim under the water and won't be hurt much by what's happening on the surface. I've been here all my life and have seen the amounts of oil that used to be dumped into the waters here and never did it hurt the fishing to any large degree. The only thing I know of that really hurt fishing was a gill net. Before that, we use to count trout not by the limits of 10, 25, or 50 but by how many ice chest of trout we caught. That was during the busiest oil production in the coastal marshes of the 50's and 60's when oil dumping was rampant and not illegal. Storms, freezes, oil and any other of mother natures products have never done the fishing in. Oh yes, oil is a natural product, just like the fish, the crabs, the shrimp, the water, and the air. We have since learned to treat nature with much more respect to which I agree, but don't put to much faith in what you're seeing reported on the boob-tube. They all have an agenda it's not about the spill. Mother nature is bigger than and more capable than any one of us or all of us. Have faith in her, she will be around long after we're gone.

I step down now.
    "gene" from deep in the coastal marshes of South Louisiana

Post Thanks / Like

Mercy sakes, PPG, that was absolutely eloquent!
    I agree with everything you said - and more. I've been there too - maybe not quite as long, but almost anyway, and seen both the elephant and the dragon. Fact is, I must admit to feeding my dragon on occasion in Black Bay.
    But do you know what - it didn't stop me from eating those oysters!
    Or the specks!
    But that aside, your post was extremely well put. Thanks!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I agree PPG and SP. I think PPG aught to send that piece to all the lame stream media, magazines, and rags they call papers in the whole USA. (not like they would print it)
    Be as smart as you can, but it is always better to be wise than to be smart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J_ROW View Post
    I agree PPG and SP. I think PPG aught to send that piece to all the lame stream media, magazines, and rags they call papers in the whole USA. (not like they would print it)
    Hey J Row -
    We ought to form a coalition - anti greedy suing commerical fishing bas....rds, pro oil-patch, and nuke the media! PPG for president! NO DEMOCRATS ALLOWED!
    Well, no liberal Democrats, anyway! :D
    Incidentally, have either of you seen any evidence of the sky falling?
    The apocalypse? A shortage of gasoline? Nancy Pelosi resigning?
    Neither me. Pass a good weekend anyway.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    Hey J Row -
    We ought to form a coalition - anti greedy suing commerical fishing bas....rds, pro oil-patch, and nuke the media! PPG for president! NO DEMOCRATS ALLOWED!
    Well, no liberal Democrats, anyway! :D
    Incidentally, have either of you seen any evidence of the sky falling?
    The apocalypse? A shortage of gasoline? Nancy Pelosi resigning?
    Neither me. Pass a good weekend anyway.
    Pete
    SP, you know what. I'd like to see all those crying bleeding heart liberals have the right to petroleum products (gas, Vaseline, plastic products and any other thing made from petroleum) taken away from them. Then lets see how hard they cry and moan about drilling for oil. Most of them don't even have a clue what all comes from oil.
    Be as smart as you can, but it is always better to be wise than to be smart.

Post Thanks / Like

No Condoms??!!

Post Thanks / Like

Gas come from the gas pump and Vaseline comes from the vending machine in the rest room along with the other plastic products they vend there. You ain't never going to make them believe that all that is connected to an oil rig. Oh and while you're mentioning products, how about that stuff they put in that plane that flies back and forth from California twice a week, it comes from a little red truck. The reason she has to fly our plane rather than a commercial one is that everyone is afraid to sit in the same room with her in case that over stretched skin pops, it gonna blow the plane up. OK OK, enough is enough I think we all know what's it's about, so just vote.

Anyway guys thanks for the support but I'll decline the nomination for now. I'm too busy furnishing pipe for the oilfields around the world. I have a vested interest. But if I did, it would be easy to make many things better. Just wipe off all the laws they put on the books in the last 65 years, that's when I was born and things were great then. Then write a comprehensive package of law for the Congress. (1.) All laws also apply to Congressmen. (2.) All Congressional raises must have the approval of the people by popular vote and won't take effect while current members are in office. (3.) Term limits to two 4 years terms. (4.) The Constitution is the law of the land. No back door deal and televise all meetings and hearings concerning laws or amendments.................man, why did y'all get me started.
    Amen,
    "gene"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast