Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tracker Targa

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tracker Targa

Guys,

What are you opinions on a Tracker Targa 185? I'm looking hard at one with a 90hp Opti. I'm a little concerned that it might be a little underpowered, but 35 to 38mph for me would be plenty if you think it would get that out of this motor. It is priced right!

I'm looking for something to pull the kids on the tube, and will handle the big water a little better than my 16' jon. The sides are quite a bit higher than the semi-v jons, so the wind will affect it quite a bit, but it should handle the big waves (which always seem to be rolling) when I get to fish.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy it you may want to try a Mercury Fury Four Blade Prop. I have one on a Mercury Optimax 115 on a Ranger Angler 1760 which is a heavy boat and I am well pleased. I think the Fury Prop overcomes the lack of horsepower. Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I love mine, 18.5 targa, Bought it new in 05, 115 Mercury, Runs about 40 MPH at 4800 rpm"s. Been it the water every week since it was new, I spider rig out of the front with no problems, Shoot docks in it and striper fish in it, Love that wind shield in cold weather, I can stay out on the water when everyone else has been run off by the wind. Handles ruff water real good. Like I said, I love mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say you should get around that speed of 35 to 38. I had a Fisher Pro Hawk with a 90 Opti, it was 17.5 and I got 42 to 43 MPH on it. However it did not handle rough water well at all. I was very dissapointed there.

Post Thanks / Like

A fishing partner of mine has a 17.5' Targa with a 90 Merc. He gets it up to about 40 mph - which is just fine. The next larger boat would only benefit from a 115 HP engine. Don't go with less for an 18.5' rig.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with crestliner, if you are getting the 18.5 I would go with 115 if it is rated for that

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 17' Bass Tracker Pro Deep V and it goes 28 - 30 with a 40 Merc on the back with 2 guys and gear.Plenty fast for me.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy N.C. View Post
    I love mine, 18.5 targa, Bought it new in 05, 115 Mercury, Runs about 40 MPH at 4800 rpm"s. Been it the water every week since it was new, I spider rig out of the front with no problems, Shoot docks in it and striper fish in it, Love that wind shield in cold weather, I can stay out on the water when everyone else has been run off by the wind. Handles ruff water real good. Like I said, I love mine.
    What prop are you running? Reason I asked about the prop is I have a 115 Opti and it will go 45 at WOT. The Targa is a heavier boat and Countryboy is running 40 mph and 4800 rpms. I have a 19 pitch, 3 blade SS prop.

I have a 2005 Tracker All Fish and I'll have to admit I have been pleased with it. They dont make it anymore but it's like the Panfish 17' only longer. Only had it about a month but it fishes well and rides good too. If the price is really right, I would consider it. I found a good deal on mine, only been in the water 11 times in 5 years. Didnt even have 10 hours on the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ridge Brewer View Post
    What prop are you running? Reason I asked about the prop is I have a 115 Opti and it will go 45 at WOT. The Targa is a heavier boat and Countryboy is running 40 mph and 4800 rpms. I have a 19 pitch, 3 blade SS prop.

I have a 2005 Tracker All Fish and I'll have to admit I have been pleased with it. They dont make it anymore but it's like the Panfish 17' only longer. Only had it about a month but it fishes well and rides good too. If the price is really right, I would consider it. I found a good deal on mine, only been in the water 11 times in 5 years. Didnt even have 10 hours on the boat.
    I will have to check to be sure, but I think it is a 13 pitch, 3 blade ss. I have had mine up to 5200 rpms a few times and it run 42 to 43 mph, but I dont like to run mine wide open, I never go over 4800 rpms.

Post Thanks / Like

Check and see what you have if you don't mind. You getting your speed from a GPS? WOT on a 115 Opti is 5700 rpm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast