Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Shallow vs. Deep

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shallow vs. Deep

I have noticed over the past week or two, a lot of you guys are catching fish in deeper water. I understand fish are spawning at different depths and on certain bodies of water some of the bigger fish are coming in deeper water, but how are you making the decision to fish deeper water? I'm not sure how to ask what I'm wanting to, but I can't pass up the urge to fish shallow when I know there a big blacks biting a couple feet deep. Some of my biggest fish come in the spring while the spawn is going on, and I usually fish for crappie or bluegill year round, except for a catfish excursion here and there. And I have caught crappie a ton of different ways with the seasons and conditions, but I guess I just refer back to the way I grew up fishing, with a cane pole, float, and minnow pretty much rule my spring. And it serves me well and has over the years, but after reading all the posts, and some of you guys are tearing them up, what makes you stray away from the shallow fish? Are you targeting whites? Or is that just the way you like to fish? Did that question make sense?
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I catch my "eater" fish through the ice, because they don't have the testosterone and the slim (which is a bacteria fighter during the warmer months), which in my opinion has a direct effect on the taste. Futhermore, I try not to target the crappie on or near cover during the spawn, especially if lake has a ton of gills, warmouth, small catfish etc. because when you pull them off the bed, those fish come in a eat the fish eggs/fry. I have learned the hard way, what happens when you over fish a spawning area, as I have wiped them out of areas, and it takes years for them to begin using them again. I know there are guys who believe crappie are such prolific spawners that its no big deal, but it is possible to kill an area, which might be the best place for crappie to have a successful spawn. I don't look down on folks that do harvest crappie during the spawn, I just fish enough that I don't have to target them in area's where they are easier to catch because of that fact. With that all being said, it does seem that the hogs stay out on main lake brush piles, which increase your chances for real HOGS... nobody remembers the limits, but they do remember all the 16"+ fish they caught in a lifetime.
    Ask me about: Bobby Garland, CrappiePro, Yeti Coolers, Power-Pole, and Simms Products!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    , but how are you making the decision to fish deeper water?
    Electronics!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you really asked a question, it just sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that you're right! :D I understand what you're saying and if I was catching big fish up tight to the bank, that's what I'd do. I do know that every lake is different. I know some places that you'll never catch a good crappie in 2 FOW right off the banks.

I've been on some good fish lately, and all the nice ones are in 10-12'. The fact that they're on structure that is only 10' from the bank tells the story a little better.

Just remember, if you're catching small ones, you may want to be fishin out of the other side of the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by filletfetish View Post
    I don't know if you really asked a question, it just sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that you're right! :D I understand what you're saying and if I was catching big fish up tight to the bank, that's what I'd do. I do know that every lake is different. I know some places that you'll never catch a good crappie in 2 FOW right off the banks.

I've been on some good fish lately, and all the nice ones are in 10-12'. The fact that they're on structure that is only 10' from the bank tells the story a little better.

Just remember, if you're catching small ones, you may want to be fishin out of the other side of the boat.
    I guess looking back at..your kinda right. The lake I fish the most is holding good fish shallow, and the lake isn't loaded with whites. I'm not even looking for fish in deep water, if I can just troll down from laydown to laydown.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944