Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Exploring The Lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Exploring The Lakes

Sardis Lake is very close to an all time low level (234.7') right now, and I am sure the other lakes are at similar levels. Now is a great time to get out and look "at the lay of the land" in areas you normally fish. There are things sticking out of the water in various locations that I have never seen before in years of fishing Sardis.

While you are out there looking, it is a great time to sweeten up a couple of favorite hot spots. The crappie will really appreciate it!

After that, all we got to do is pray for spring rains.

Post Thanks / Like

Pops,

Been catching any fish? I am like you wont to get out and check out all that cover sticking out of the water. You never know if you will ever see it that low again. However if I did get out it would only make me wont to fish from a boat and the wind lately have put a damper on that. I know fella should still be a able to catch a mess a fish at least by trolling. Have heard anyone doing that? I was thinking maybe out from Lependeza or out on the creek ledges at Coles Point. Lately I have still been trying to master the Spillway fishing technique. When the fish are right on the bank I can catch them however if they move out a little further I have a hard time. It seems all I can catch are smaller ones. I think I have my rig right-11ft BandM light action? with a ultra light reel because thats what I am comfortable with-6lbs Mr.Crappie Hi-vis line, with 2 plain or chart. jigs no larger than 1/16th sometimes go with 1/32th spaced a foot or less apart. I have tried several bobbers or floats but try to match one that will just barely keep my rig up and
    still be bouyant with wind and waves. Like I said dont think it is my rig maybe its my choice of spots. I usually get there early and stay most of the day since I drive 45 miles to fish. I try to fish the eddies and current by casting out passed them and working my rig back or sometimes just let my float go with the current with occasional twitch. I just dont know but I do know I should be catching a few larger fish. What do you think?

Good fishing,
    spawner

Post Thanks / Like

Spawner, around the middle of Nov. or 245', whichever comes first, I normally park the boat and start fishing in the spillway. Cold winds, low water, no ramps, etc., more than I can deal with. I'm sure our paths have crossed at the spillway. Most of the good fish have been caught close to the banks in the past few weeks. I don't think I have fished over 1'-4' deep. After the spillway was cut down to a trickle yesterday, I did see some nice fish caught 8'-9' deep in the middle of the spillway below the wingwalls. I think the right spots are important, but I usually will not fish in the crowd. If I can find a small eddy that has not been beat to death, it may produce a couple of real good fish. You mentioned hi-vis line. I assume this is the yellow-green color. I think it may work sometimes, but I believe clear, 6 lb. line will consistantly catch more fish. I also change jig colors and combinations a lot. The spillway is addictive, I love the cold weather fishing there.
    Last edited by Pops; 01-10-2006 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Site will not accept normal reply.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pops
    Sardis Lake is very close to an all time low level (234.7') right now, and I am sure the other lakes are at similar levels. Now is a great time to get out and look "at the lay of the land" in areas you normally fish. There are things sticking out of the water in various locations that I have never seen before in years of fishing Sardis.

While you are out there looking, it is a great time to sweeten up a couple of favorite hot spots. The crappie will really appreciate it!

After that, all we got to do is pray for spring rains.
    This is what you can do when the water is real low. A friend got into a helo, know that's hard to come by, and took his camera and took photos of as much of the lake as was showing. I always wished I had taken a video camera and got in the creek and took some tapes. Maybe next time.

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Is this Sardis or another lake. I cant for the life of me figure out what part of the lake this would. No timber so it cant be anywhere near hurricane or whytts.
    Could this picture be out from Holiday or Coontwon. Its hard to believe there is any water coming out of the spillway. However I did hear that they have been working on alot of the boat ramps which is not a bad idea. Especially the one at whyats which was about filled in. Thanks for shareing the pic. stevej. Speaking of rain I hear a good sound outside right now beating on my tin roof. I think its rained all day here but I am afraid it wont be enough at the present time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spawner
    Is this Sardis or another lake. I cant for the life of me figure out what part of the lake this would. No timber so it cant be anywhere near hurricane or whytts.
    Could this picture be out from Holiday or Coontwon. Its hard to believe there is any water coming out of the spillway. However I did hear that they have been working on alot of the boat ramps which is not a bad idea. Especially the one at whyats which was about filled in. Thanks for shareing the pic. stevej. Speaking of rain I hear a good sound outside right now beating on my tin roof. I think its rained all day here but I am afraid it wont be enough at the present time.
    This is Okatibbee. It was pulled way down some years ago to plant some duck stuff I think. Also some spillway work.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sardis Low Water

I spent some more time riding and looking around the various boat ramps yesterday. I am convinced that 90% of the fishable cover on Sardis is now out of the water. Some folks have already been working pretty hard on their spots. I think the ability to walk around on the prime fishing spots is priceless. Somebody said, "Catching is the result of finding, finding is the result of knowledge".

Post Thanks / Like

Me and my wife and friend went looking around the desert yesterday. It is simply amazing. We stopped at Hurricane Landing and took a few picks couldnt drive donw to Indian Mound because we were in my WIFES van. Looks like somone has done there homework as far as stake beds. They put some in great locations however I am afraid everybody else will see them to. I was supprised to see not a whole lot of man made cover the flats leading into the coves or banks. You would think that would be prime spots. Of course this is just from my view from binoculars I am sure other areas will have plenty of man-made cover. We stopped by Coontown and again amazed. Brush tops been out of the water for sometime now. Tops proably been there for 3-4 years. Last stop was Dam with about 5 boats put in. Two were commercial fisherman others look to be crappie. Not much going on at spillway with just a trickle coming out. Saw one good fish landed with still alot of small ones most action on Sardis side. I am going to try them Fri. or Sat according to rain tonight.

See you on the lake,
    Spawner

Drift_Wood is offline Moderator TN Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bump