Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: power trim vs stump

Post Thanks / Like

Default power trim vs stump

I don’t know if this is the right place to post this but I’ve being looking at some new boats. all the dealership keep trying to talk me into power tilt and trim. but I do a lot of fishing in lakes with a lot of stump and logs. am wonder how a power tilt and trim unit will handle a hit from a stump and what it will do to the ob motor. the salesman told me about a cmc breakaway plate does anyone know if these work and if they are worth the money.

Post Thanks / Like

What size motor are you going to get?

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking a 40hp GCD. am thinking about buying either a G3 165pf stick steer or a 648 war eagle tiller steer. I like the Idea of the 165pf cause I do fish alot just me in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

You would probably want the tilt trim then, you can tilt it up when going through shallow stumpy water... then tilt it back down in deeper water.

Just operate your boat in a safe manner and you won't have any problems, you wouldn't want to whack a stump with a brand new motor with or without tilt/trim.

As far as the breakaway plate, I'm not familiar with them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll not have another boat without T/T.
    THE Nimrod Kid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'll not have another boat without T/T.
    +1 on that.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I had a 16ft procraft bass boat with power t/t. I put it on lake Barnett and that’s a stump filled lake.(cs I think you now about that lake) I broke that fin on the bottom of the motor. I think they call it a skeg. I had it trim up when it happen. I was drive super slow when it happens. I was wonder if that happen a lot on ob with t/t that are use in stump filled lake. Cause my mom live on lake Barnett and I plan on fishing it and lake Conway a lot and I could always drop down to a 25hp so I wouldn’t need to have t/t.

Post Thanks / Like

Power T/T is worth it's weight in gold! I don't care what engine you have, hit stumps and you're asking for trouble! Just don't.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Power T/T is worth it's weight in gold! I don't care what engine you have, hit stumps and you're asking for trouble! Just don't.
    You cant fish the 2 lakes he is talking about without hitting stumps, period.

I would encourage getting the T/T and I fish both of those lakes too.

Post Thanks / Like

midnight_f150,
    Get the T&T.
    Besides why have stick steering if you have to get up and run to the back of the boat every time you come to a stump?
    Years ago when you couldn't see across Toledo Bend because of the trees I fished with my uncle. He had a 40HP on a stick steer and it was my job (back seat) to lift the motor every time we came to a stump. It didn't take me long (Shoulders, arms aching, stomach muscle cramps, etc.) to vow that if I ever got my own rig it would have T&T.
    1perchjerker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast