Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light or Ultralight??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Light or Ultralight??

Here is my situation, for about 7 yrs I worked two jobs and did not take time to fish(totally unacceptable I know).
    During that time my son made off with my rods and tackle, he did ask first and I was not using them(excepting the flyrods he had no use for).
    I got back what he had left, which leaves me with a 7ft Medium spinning setup. 2-7 ft baitcastrods(medum light) with revolving spool reels, and my 3 flyrods.
    The real hole in my arsenal is in the light or Ultralight rod and reel area.

As you can see, I seem to have an preference for 7ft rods?

And am debating getting either a light or ultralight spinning rod and reel.
    Short 5-51/2' ultralights seem to be the norm.

Would I be sacrificing a lot to go to a 6-61/2' light action over the shorter ultralight?

Post Thanks / Like

I like a 6' light power, fast action, spin jig rod, but I can go 6" on eather side of that and really like the rod for diferent types of fishing...

Also really depends on the type of fishing you are planning on doing, Drowning minnows chunking jigs, trolling,,Etc...
    Puddle
    I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me,,

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at B n' M's Sam Heaton Super Sensitive, 7' UL rod. I've been using two of these for about 4 years now and I love them. Great for casting jigs, small spinners or spoons, for any kind of panfish and/or trout. Not that expensive either. If you order direct from their site or catalog, I think they run under $50.00. It's been awhile since I bought one however.

I matched mine with a Shimano Symetre 750 and have it filled with 2# and 4# test line (2 spools), so it's a very flexible rig and can do "double duty". Very smooth reel and very dependable.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JIm-Iowa View Post
    Would I be sacrificing a lot to go to a 6-61/2' light action over the shorter ultralight?
    No, I think longer rods are generally more advantageous. The only time I use the shorter rods is when I'm in my float tube. In a tube, it's easier (for me, anyway) to land fish with a shorter rod.

You'll definitely get better casting distance with a longer rod. Also, remember that "light" and "ultralight" are subjective terms. One manufacturer's "light" rod is another's "ultralight". So, try before you buy if possible.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my 7' light rod. it has a very sensitive tip but a good backbone. It is my go to anytime on the water. the only time I put it down is to go to a jig pole. I do alot of casting jigs and drowning jigs under a float. It is a shakespeare with a shamano 750.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use rods from 4'6" to 7' with 4 and 6 lb test. All the rods have a time and place. Versatility makes the decision. Tight spots or just liking the rod finds a 5'6" UL, 4lb in my hand. Down side to 4lb is that in cover you will lose more jigs. Most of my 6lb outfits are 6' to 7'. If you look in wal mart they carry Shakespeare micro graphite rods for under $20. The 7' lite spinning works well for me, I have 3. They have offerings from 4'6" on up. Don't spend too many $ on reels, lots of good uns under $30 these days. I usually start my day with 2 rods on the deck and wind up with 5, something different on each. I throw 95% jigs, not too much minnows. Good luck in your search.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    No, I think longer rods are generally more advantageous. The only time I use the shorter rods is when I'm in my float tube. In a tube, it's easier (for me, anyway) to land fish with a shorter rod.

You'll definitely get better casting distance with a longer rod. Also, remember that "light" and "ultralight" are subjective terms. One manufacturer's "light" rod is another's "ultralight". So, try before you buy if possible.
    i would agree! however, a 5.5 is great around docks with low over hangs where you might take the tip off a longer rod
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

I would go with 5'6' ot 6' rod with spinning reel for 6 lb test line 6 lb is not to large and you have a chance fightinh a large fish. The 6lb drag system will do the job
    I would go with Light action and enjoy for just about any action

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody has their favortite depending on the style of fishing they do most. I like light action 7' spinning rods for crappie, and 5'6" UL for bluegill.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

i love my new UL, it does a fine job, were crappie fishing here, you don't want to over power the fight. the only advantage i've found is the longer casting distance with longer rods, but for my fishing, its not an issue
    When in doubt, set the hook.
    Chris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast