Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Falling Water ( Winter Draw Down )

Post Thanks / Like

Default Falling Water ( Winter Draw Down )

I'm have a hard time when it comes to catching Crappie when the lake I'm fishing has falling water . How do you fish falling water ?
    See ya Kevin ><)))*>
    Excellent

Post Thanks / Like

I usualy put out new brush near a creek channel and fish are normaly there in a week or two. All the brush they have been relating to is either in shallow water or high and dry, so try a new pile in the depth you usualy catch fish at this time of year. If it's near a channel you'd be surprised how quick they will move in!
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

Post Thanks / Like

I look for creek channels. If you can get a topo map and find the channels on your lake, then spend some time looking for the under water stumps, brush, rock piles, dips, #####, etc...... Go slow and spend your time wisely. I may look for an hour or more on a new lake. If I go over a spot that looks good, I'll circle around it making a bigger circle each time. Alot of the time you will find some secondary structure also. I really like the looks of them "stacked" on my depth finder :>) I usually cast to them and "count down" jigs or spider rig the "hot spots". Good luck 2ya.
    Sponsored by my wallet!!

Post Thanks / Like

Falling water will definitely put the crappie on the move and lock their jaw. As the lake level goes down, they are going to find a new location that gives them the right depth of water that fits their comfort zone. As was mentioned above, you can't go wrong searching around primary and secondary channels.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Normandy in southern middle TN the other day and I put out around 4 in the morning. When I loaded up at 9:30, the water had dropped so much that I could stand high and dry where I would have been completely under water at launch time. I am 5'10 and would have still been under water by a good ways. I was telling some guys that were launching their boat what the level was compared to when I put in and they couldnt believe it. They thought I was lying. It ended up being my worst day ever on Normandy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default movement

I fish Lake Shafer in IN alot. The lake is man made with a dam. Where I like to crappie fish is under a small bridge miles from the dam. I know when they open the dam gates because the water current changes and the crappie quit biting.
    I usally troll under the bridge to get off the main lake and fish around creek opening boat lifts etc.
    Bill

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Zappa ....

Quote Originally Posted by zappaf19
    I fish Lake Shafer in IN alot. The lake is man made with a dam. Where I like to crappie fish is under a small bridge miles from the dam. I know when they open the dam gates because the water current changes and the crappie quit biting.
    I usally troll under the bridge to get off the main lake and fish around creek opening boat lifts etc.
    Bill
    Are you sure the fish quit biting ?? Seems like they would just re-position themselves on the downcurrent side of the bridge pilons. Next time that happens - try "Vertical Casting" the downcurrent side of the pilons. ( http://www.crappie.com/articles/crappiepappy.htm ) You might find that the fish haven't quit biting ... they've just "moved" ........ luck2ya ....cp

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

My lake has drawdown every other year.This year while the water was falling The bridges were stacked. They moved off a bit after the water leveled off at 8' below pool. Made it easier for me. Now when it started rising I had a hard time finding them again.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson