Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dang bugs

Post Thanks / Like

Default dang bugs

went fishing today , and was attacked by knats despite being very windy. tried bug spray, no help at all. any suggestions ? did manage to catch a few.

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to keep the gnats out of your face is to tear a hole in the seat of your britches!

Post Thanks / Like

ss, you are right. off or insect repellant will not keep the gnats aka dog pecxer gnats away, but vanilla flavoring will. i keep a bottle in my truck, boats and turkey vest in the spring when they are out. and they are out big time now. the immatation flavoring will do. it does not have to be the high priced pure extract. an old river rat told me about it a long time ago. someone said skin-so-soft will keep them away too. never tried that. just rub it on your face and ears and any exposed skin around your face and neck. and if you are like me your bald head too.

it will make you smell better too.

old

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to sound crazy but it works, at least for a few people I know, including myself. If none of the bug sprays are working for you, try Absorbine Jr - the pain reliever. This past week I was out of town and was fishing in a river area that had a massive buffalo gnat infestation. Tried a lot of different bug sprays, a water and vanilla mixture and while those worked for a while, the bugs would swarm again after a few minutes. I saw another fella fishing down the way from me and he didn't seem to have a problem with the bugs at all, so I wondered down and asked him what he was using to keep the bugs at bay. He told me it was Absorbine Jr. and gave me some to try. I put a couple dabs behind each ear, on my neck and all other exposed skin areas and it worked great.

I know it sounds off the wall but it did work for this guy and myself. May be worth a try if you've tried some other sprays and they aren't working as well as you'd like.

Just my .02

Hope it works for you.

Catchem

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like you got a lot of dogs up there in ill.

old

Post Thanks / Like

Absorbine jr is the best I have found. For me it will last a couple hours at least. All the others, including vanilla will only last less than an hour. Ab. jr. got so popular up this way last year that it was hard to find in the stores. I spend a lot of my work days outside so now I buy a couple bottles at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

Litsterine "type" mouthwash, mix 1/2 with H2O, put it in a spray bottle. Spray on face, arms, legs, works for me. If you buy the store brand, it's not at all expensive.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Light up a cigarette.

Post Thanks / Like

Carmex seems to work pretty well too. About the same in duration as vanilla. Gonna have to try the absorbine jr.

Post Thanks / Like

i have not tried this to see if it indeed works
    but i have heard several times that bounce dryer sheets
    will work tuck a few in your shirt collar
    i think the absorbene jr sounds better though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast