PDA

View Full Version : Casting?

RiverRat2
01-06-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm using my gandpa's fishing rod and it has a spinning real on it (at least I think it's a spinning real. You can see the fishing line). I have no idea how to cast it correctly. What I've been doing is pulling the small curved bar back, when I do this the line starts to go out. So I hold the line with one hand and then cast with the other hand. I feel like a dork when I do this. How I can I cast it properly without looking stupid?

Fred in Ky
01-06-2006, 11:46 AM
You have a Spinning reel. The way I use them is to take my index finger on the hand I am casting with and hold the line. I turn the handle so the bail puts the line close to the rod, take your finger and hold the line, open the bail and cast. When you are casting, take your finger off the line as you come forward. Do not try to "hoss" it out, just a nice smooth action. Let the rod tip do most of the work for you. Good Luck 2ya.

RiverRat2
01-06-2006, 06:42 PM
You have a Spinning reel. The way I use them is to take my index finger on the hand I am casting with and hold the line. I turn the handle so the bail puts the line close to the rod, take your finger and hold the line, open the bail and cast. When you are casting, take your finger off the line as you come forward. Do not try to "hoss" it out, just a nice smooth action. Let the rod tip do most of the work for you. Good Luck 2ya.

I almost get what you're talking about. What is the the bail? and what is "Hoss" out?

fishin3
01-06-2006, 06:53 PM
I almost get what you're talking about. What is the the bail? and what is "Hoss" out?
Bail is the curve metal bar you are talking about and "hoss" it out is sling it as hard as you can and it still goes no where. Also welcome to the board. Hope this helped some.

labill
01-06-2006, 06:58 PM
RR2....I'm assuming you're not messin' with our minds, so I'll play it straight. The bail is the heavy wire that spins around the spool. It's function is to reel the line in when you turn the handle. To cast very hard is "hossing" the line out, which is seldom accurate. If the rod you use is the right action and line weight is compatible with the rod action and lure, you'll have a nice rig. Good luck!! :D

Barnacle Bill
01-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Since you are apparently just learning to use a spinning reel you need to learn to do it right. Like others said, don't try to horse it. Hold the rig with the reel base between your middle and fore finger. the reel will be under the rod. Hod the line with your index finger and open the bail. Now practice throwing the bait using just your wrist. You don't need to use your arm like when throwing a ball. Practice doing this and you will soon be able to throw it far and accurate. Practice manually closing the bail just before the bait hits the water. This will eliminate tangles caused by the lines tendency to keep coming off after the bait is in the water. Hope I made sense.

Darryl Morris
01-06-2006, 07:14 PM
There is never anything wrong with being new or inexperienced at fishing. You go ahead and ask all the questions you want and don't be embarrassed. My recommendation for you would be to find and hire a guide in your area that will show you some of the basics and techniques for crappie fishing. I think you would be surprised at how much just one trip will help.

Charger
01-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Check this Rat

http://www.angelfire.com/ia3/fishing/howtocast.htm

LBM
01-06-2006, 08:21 PM
RR2

I was originally taught to reach down and loop the string on my index finger before opening the bail to cast the bait. If I remember right I believe I would turn the handle to close the bail which as they mentioned above is a no no since it causes line twists when the bail is closed that way.

Later on I was taught a neat way to cast the open faced reels. With my index finger, on the hand holding the rod, I would just touch the front edge of the spool holding my finger against the edge and then open the bail. As long as my finger touched the front edge the line would not come off the spool past the point my finger contacted the spool edge. As I cast the line I would lift my finger from the edge of the spool and let the line fly and now I always close the bail with my left hand.

This gave me great line control because if I saw the bait was flying to far alls I would do is just retouch the spool edge and the line would immediately stop comming off the spool. Were as before I would try to turn the handle to close the bail to stop line comming off the spool. This action would allow alot of line to continue comming off the spool before it finally stopped hard telling where the bait would actually end up.

One way you could practice this motion or action is to just hold your rod horizontal touch your finger to the front edge of the spool and open the bail. Then from this position just lift your finger let your bait fall abit and retouch the spool edge to stop the line. Repeat this several times until the bait hits the floor. It still amazes me how much control one has in letting line come off the spool this way.

Back in the days I though I wanted to bass fish I was told about this method of using a spinning reel at a seminar and have been using it ever since. I just wish someone had told me about it when I was first learning.

I have some friends that think it won't work with their short stubby fingers but I really think they are just old dogs that don't want to learn new tricks.

Anyhow good luck in your learning process.

RiverRat2
01-07-2006, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Charger, the link helped out a ton! I've been pracitcing in the yard. I'm not casting any farther, but at leat now I don't look stupid. :D

Eager Beaver
01-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. Charger, the link helped out a ton! I've been pracitcing in the yard. I'm not casting any farther, but at leat now I don't look stupid. :D

Welcome to the board RR2, Don't worry about distance and accuracy at first, that will come with practice. Just keep practicing and everything else will happen naturally. The more you practice the better you will be.

GRIZZ
01-07-2006, 02:11 PM
I've seen lot of people casting with 2 hands the way you describe and can cast just fine. The priciple is the same. Eventually, with the excellent suggestions from the guys above you will be able to cast more accurately, further and with greater frequency. You may want to practice sidehand casts from both sides, overhead casts, and short casts with you starting with the lure in your hand and just tossing it out from underneath the rod. Just watch the hooks. By learning these casts you will be able to get to fish someone who can't do those cast never will. In teaching people how to cast I've found the trickiest part is learning when to release the line. Most release too early and the lure goes up in the air, or too late and it slams into the water real short. There is an ideal trajectory to release the line that maximizes your casting distance with whatever your fishing with whether it be a 1/32 ounce jig or a 4 ounce surf sinker. It won't take long for you to figure out where this sweetspot is. If 12 o'clock is staight up and 9 is pointing the rod parrallel to the water the sweet spot is usually right in the middle. You can usually feel that point during the cast the most pressure is pulling the line against your finger.

One of the above posts suggest closing the bail before the lure hits the water. That is a good idea to help not get "loopus" (imbedded loops that are buried under line that pull out big knots of line when you cast next time). You can do the same thing by using your index finger that you released the line with to slow the line again before the lure hits the water and you close the bail. I have found that you have a little more control over your line that way and get less loops in your spool.

One more thing to pay attention to is how much line you have out when casting. I typically have about a foot to 2 of line out from the tip of my rod for lighter rigs and if your heaving heavy stuff way out there then anywhere from 2 to 4 feet of line out will allow you to get more momentum in your cast to whip it out there where no one else can.

I love to shore fish as much as fish from boats and sometimes learning to maximize your distance gets the lure out where most can't.

If you take your tackle to the nearest tackle shop your sure to find all the advice and help you can handle.

Using a spinning reel your also going to learn the joy of untangling snarles of line that come off your reel when one of those loops gets you. There is a trick to getting those tangles out and saving your line from the knife. No matter how bad the tangle looks this is the key. *** ALWAYS LOOSEN THE LINE _ NEVER PULL IT TIGHT*** People try to pull a snarl out by pulling on either end hoping it'll pop out on its own, but almost all the time it just makes an unfixable tight knot that you have to cut. Just find the tightest part of the snarl and loosen it. You might have to use a hook point to get some apart, but just keep loosening and soon you'll be fishing again with all your line intact.

The best way to learn it so get out there and swing away in a nice open area over the water like the end of a dock without people around you. Its also easier to learn with somethig a little heavier tied to your line like a 1/8 - 1/4 ounce lure or heavier that floats.

Practice on the water and you might catch something nice. Grass doesn't give much of a fight. I hope this helps and you catch a mess of fish. Keep asking questions and watch the guys out there that are catching fish. You will learn a lot by just watching. Fishermen are a talkative lot and if you ask one a question that knows what hes doing you can learn a lot. Go get em!!!

crappieseeker
01-07-2006, 10:04 PM
charger, the site you posted was pretty good but I noticed that it shows a correct way and then an incorrect way, then it goes on to demostrate in another way. I didnt read the article, but visualizing it kinda made it misleading. Visually as long as you have the hang of it I guess it really wouldnt matter which finger rapped the reel base. Without going out and getting my rod and making a cast I couldnt tell you right off how I hold it. It's second nature to me because I've done it so long. I know its right for me though because I can sure cast that joker pretty well.

Charger
01-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Yeah thats the best one I could find that showed a good pic of the "finger hold".