Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New guy here...

Post Thanks / Like

Default New guy here...

Hey guys, just thought I'd post and say hi. I've been fly fishing for almost 3 years, and have a horrible addiction to bluegills. Can't beat a summer evening catching gills on soft hackles!
    I'm looking forward to chatting with y'all and trading some lies.

Zac

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Zac! I share your passion for flyfishing for bluegills. I've been at it for a long time, but I never get tired of it.
    Isaiah 41:10

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quivira kid View Post
    I've been fly fishing for almost 3 years, and have a horrible addiction to bluegills...
    ... the perfect fly rod fish, IMO.

Welcome aboard!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Disco, have you ever caught a green sunfish? They all think they're 8 lb bass... Great fighters and they love flies! Big bluegills edge 'em out a little, but greenies sure are fun too.

I've been having great luck so far this year on a size 6 bead chain Clouser minnow, pink over white with silver flash. I like tying mine with calftail. That fly, and a little "fly rod tube jig" I tie up. 1xl or so nymph hook size 8 (Mustad 3366 for me), black bead chain eyes tied a bit further forward than a Clouser, chartreuse rabbit tail, chartreuse pearl chenille wrapped to in front of the eyes.
    That fly was responsible for about 40 crappie last week. Simple and effective!

Zac

Post Thanks / Like

Zac

Welcome aboard!!!!!!! Thought I recognized the name from FAOL. Again Welcome

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Fatman! Hey, I found something in the freezer the other day I had saved for you... Couple pairs of wings. TOTALLY forgot about em! Shoot me your mailing addy on the other site and I will try and get them out soon.

Wind finally took a break here, so I'm off to the lake to try and catch a couple.
    Zac

Post Thanks / Like

Got into a school of crappie and whites juuust before it got dark. They were sipping bugs off the top, so I put on a #10 bead chain eye hares ear wet. Second cast... white bass. Third cast... crappie. Fourth... crappie. That went on for awhile. After it got dark, I tied on a #8 Slumpbuster and kept at 'em. For about a little more than an hour on the water, I caught around 25 fish. Crappie up to 11", white bass to 12", and some very nice bluegills.

Fishing on a glass calm lake by moonlight is one of the most enjoyable things ever.

Post Thanks / Like

damn man where you fishin????? private pond? From soft hackle hares ear to a clouser. seems like you can't miss, where ever you are and whatever you're using.....let's hook up, may take a few days for me to get there but Ohio sucks right now.......sounds like you're in the right spot though.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot all about those I'll send you my addy on the other site.

Thanks

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Dogsled,
    It's all about presentation and observation, in my opinion. Gave em something buggy when they were looking for mayflies, then switched to streamers again after dark.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast