Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: transducer ticking

Post Thanks / Like

Default transducer ticking

Do you think your transducer ticking affects crappie, spooks them. Do you all turn off your fish finder after you locate fish.

Anybody using braided line? I used it last year with spider wire leaders (Kentucky rig). I'm going to try flourocarbon leader this year. I though the braid was really sensitive and I could really feel the bite. Was also great for pulling free of snags.
    Vietnam Vet
    RECONATACRON-7,
    USS ENTERPRISE CVAN-65

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe, we had 2 depth finders on yesterday while fishing. I really don't think it bothers them much, but I have wondered about that in the past. I use Power Pro (10 & 20lb) on my casting poles and really like it. I have found that if I spray it periodically with silicon, it really helps avoiding tangles. My biggest problem is remembering to manually closing the bail just before the jig hits the water. That is definitely the biggest help.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default braided line

I never tried the silicon, I'll give it a try.
    Vietnam Vet
    RECONATACRON-7,
    USS ENTERPRISE CVAN-65

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transducer noise....

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilghman
    Do you think your transducer ticking affects crappie, spooks them. Do you all turn off your fish finder after you locate fish.

Anybody using braided line? I used it last year with spider wire leaders (Kentucky rig). I'm going to try flourocarbon leader this year. I though the braid was really sensitive and I could really feel the bite. Was also great for pulling free of snags.

Joe......I've heard a lot of pros and cons on that subject myself. The general consensus indicates that it does spook fish in calm, relatively shallow water, say from 2 to 15 ft. Wind and waves can camoflage most of the sound, but not all of it. If I find a good top with fish on it, I mark it with a buoy and turn the sonar off immediately, (why take the chance?) My personal opinion is that if a sonar can show a fish on the screen, the fish can sense the pulses, even at deep depths, but whether they spook is anybody's guess. I would rather err to the safe side, so I hit the off switch.

I do use braided lines for crappie. Like you, I like the sensitivity and the strength. I use a 10 lb. test, 2 lb. diameter Berkely braid, but in clear water I use a 6 lb. flourocarbon leader....about a 3 ft. or 4 ft. piece. You retain the sensitivity with almost invisible line above whatever lure you are using. Just one man's opinion, Joe.......for whatever it's worth. Good luck!!