Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do-It molds not so hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do-It molds not so hot.

Has anybody noticed that Do-it molds seem to be lacking in quality lately.
    Seems to me the finished head is rougher in lures 1/4 oz. and up. Also doing other wierd things like the heads have a hollow in them , consistantly. I've checked my lead fluxed my pot all the usual preventative measures. Just wondering if anyone else is running into new mold problems.

Post Thanks / Like

you using pure lead? Is your mold pre-heated?

Post Thanks / Like

Some molds have a sandblast finish on the inside to give the jig a little rougher finish for the paint to grip.

As far as the voids go, it sounds like your lead isn't hot enough. Have you changed types of lead? Try turning your heat up and see if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

voids in the heads are due to the type of leads and the temp of the lead like GCD said....also you need to get that mold nice and hot....set the mold on top of the pot while it warms up and once the lead in the pot melts the mold will be nice and hot
    Bluff City Tackle Pro Staff
    Touranment Ice & Minnow Ice
    Culprit Pro Staff
    Outlaw Crappie & Walleye Poles Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

You can also pout several shots without hooks and dump back into the pot. This will help get the mold good and hot.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by callshy View Post
    You can also pout several shots without hooks and dump back into the pot. This will help get the mold good and hot.
    Yup, I pour my mold 4 times without hooks before getting started to get it good and hot... I also set my mold on top of the pot when the lead is heating up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought many Do-It molds and they do have a bad one every now and then. I always get mine at the local shop so I can take them back. I have had them flash out no matter what you do. Look through the mold with a bright light behind when it is up to temp and see if you have any gaps.Have taken 2 back in the last 6 mths. with a full replacement.Call Do-It if you are having any trouble.They are great people to work with.

Do-it Molds: Customer Service
    Life is Good !
    2018 Kentucky & Tennessee Crappie Masters State Champs!

Post Thanks / Like

You can also try to pour at a slight angle to fill any gaps you get with a straight down pour.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a post about this before and it came to knowing what types of lead worked best in your molds. I'm with smooth though on tilting the mold to pour as some of the pour spouts are angled like it now plus any drips from the bottom pour melters don't go into the next hole you're getting ready to fill.

I've noticed alot of the molds have a long cylinder on the bottom now with a pour hole. I pour blanks plus the bottom hole and it really heats the mold up.

With using sickles or other hooks that aren't made specifically for the Do-It molds you're gonna get some flash unless you hold the mold really tight or modify the eye slot to take different hooks. Just realize that if you modify them you can't send them back for replacement.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

you also need to cure the mold by holding each side/cavity over a candle and let that black soot get all over the cavities...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast