Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you recommend Power Pro or?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Would you recommend Power Pro or?

Considering goin back to braid for vertical jiggin. Used Spiderwire long ago when it first came out but didn't like all the wind knots and tip tangles. Also I couldn't see the moss green above water. How are the new hi vis braids now a days? How long will the yeller color last?
    Early to bed, early to rise,
    Fish like hell, make up lies.

Post Thanks / Like

Still get a bunch of tip tangles. I also didn't like that it would stick to limbs, not smooth enough to slide down in a bush.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Your story sounds a lot like mine. I used spiderwire when it first came around but didn't care much for it. A few weeks back I was virtical jiggin with a friend and he was using hi vis braid. He remarked on how hard the fish were hitting his jig. That surprised me because I rarely feel more that a tap fishing up to 40' deep. We both use the same rod. He gave me a spool of Power Pro hi vis and now I will never go back to mono. The yellow color does ware off in time, I've had it on for a couple months now(about 25 or 30 trips)and there is still enough yellow to clearly see it. It's expensive compared to mono but will last much much longer. One thing to remember when using braid is to set the drag loooooooooosely. The difference between braid and mono is a THUMP vs TAP!

Post Thanks / Like

When your braid fades, turn it around. Take your line off your reel and tie the end you were tying your jig to, to the arbor and spool it back up... now you have nice new fishin' line again!

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto on GCD's post on spooling on another reel, I find the fading does not effect the performance at all. I've tried all kinds of line and PP is by far the best crappie line ever. You will occaisionally get a wind knot with it but mono has it's own problems as well. I love it for vertical jiggin and casting floats. After all my accolades I do however believe in mono for minnow fishing because it seems to allow the crappie to take the bait without pulling it out, braid will work but you have to adapt to the way it handles.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

The line is good..But, when I use it gets tangled around everything pretty easily..Specially the tip of the rod..

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using Power Pro for years with no major problems. I use a flurocarbon leader.

Post Thanks / Like

power pro is by far the best braid I have ever used, spider wire doesent compare....

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

That old Spiderwire is crap. You'll love the new stuff. I'd get Sufix braid over PP though. You can turn it around if you want but once it starts turning white IMO it's just getting broken in good, though for vertical jigging I'm not sure it'd matter. Casting, then maybe.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Power Pro and have tried the new spider wire as well as Berkley's new on. Actually I think they are new like a year or more back, but still the new type out now.

The Berkley is a bit stiff and I wouldn't call it clear like they say it is, but all give you max feel. I don't like the older one as much and some of them were not round and more flat which I didn't like. I can feel bites even long lining that I know guys don't feel with mono and it has been like that a lot this year here.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast