Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Biggest Crappie at Rathbun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Biggest Crappie at Rathbun

What is everyone's biggest crappie at Lake Rathbun?

I haven't been able to get over the 2 lb. hump but I am sure many of you have.

I had 2 come into my boat over 2 lbs. last year but I wasn't on the end of the line.

Just curious what everyone's experience has been? I'm guessing there's some near 3 lbs. out there?
    Crappie Kid

Post Thanks / Like

Having fished that lake very seriously since 1987 Ive never seen a 3 pound fish from Rathbun. My own best was a 2.30 and Ive heard of some 2.5 but never seen a legit 3 pounder. I did hear of a 20 inch fish in Sept. one year nut it was skinny and didnt weigh much over 2 1/2 . There has to be a few big ones in there. I saw a DNR report in the mid 90's and if memory serves me right it takes 6 yrs to grow a 14 inch fish on Rathbun.The life cycle doesnt last much longer than that thus the lack of fish in that 2 1/2 to 3 pound range.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also spent many of years on this lake and have never seen a three pounder.I belive that 2.03 is the biggest ever turned in at any of the tournements.crappie kid sounds like you were on some pretty good fish last year.I wonder if the lake is starting to produce a few bigger fish? That 2.03 was weighed in last year. Befor that there was never any thing over 1.94 wieght in.

Post Thanks / Like

Really a 2 lb. fish for a large body of water in Iowa due to teh short growing season is pretty good. May be there are some bigger fish in Rathbun now that the overall numbers have been down as compared to previous years resulting in less competition for food?

Although it does sound like we have a couple good year classes coming up. I am kind of wondering what the size of the 2007 class wil be this year?
    Crappie Kid

Post Thanks / Like

A 2 lb crappie is a really nice fish. I would love to have 25 of them in my live well .All this fish talk is starting to get me exited. Can't wait to get over there and start slaying them.I expect the 2007 class will provide us with some real nice fish. Atleast I hope it does.

Post Thanks / Like

My dad and I turned the 2.03 in last year. Earlier in the spring I had one that was atleast 1/2 lbs larger and lost one at the side of the boat that was the largest I ever seen.I beleve there was a 2.8 lbs caught right at one of the boat ramps last spring. Back in the mid 80's and earlier there were many more larger fish when there was alot more cover and not as much erosion.

Post Thanks / Like

I weighed matching 2.0's at a cast event and a 1.98 in a cusa my buddy boated a skinny 18" fish in the summer while walleye fishing but we never weighed it.thats the biggest ive seen but i doubt it was much more than 2.25.
    ITS LIKE BASEBALL PITCHIN,HITTIN,CATCHIN

Post Thanks / Like

1.73 in 2007 and 1.84 in 2008. Lost one at the bow a couple weeks ago that was 2 for sure, I haven't weighed anything over two yet. I have been fishing Rathbun seriously since the late 80's.

As prchjerker said the crappie's life cycle is the biggest issue. Crappie do not not live much over 7 years with an occassional one making it to 8 or 9. The Minnesota DNR did some studies and caught one tagged Crappie that was 9, but most don't make it past 4-5. At Rathbun it takes a 16" + fish to get 2 lbs, maybe a little less if full of eggs and Healthy. My 1.84 was 16 3/4".

I am sure there is a 3lb. in Rathbun, I hope one of you guys catch it, only of course if I don't catch it first.

Rathbun is 911 right now, the rain dropped the temp 6 degrees. It was reading 56-62 west of the bridge on Sat. I caught 30+, all were small this time.

Will be there Thursday after work and all day Saturday, going to SOuthfork this time. I hope to catch that 2 lb.

Good Luck out there, see you guuys on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to all. I think we are going to see some really good fish this. It would be nice if mother nature cooperates at least a little...
    Crappie Kid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Kid2 View Post
    Good luck to all. I think we are going to see some really good fish this. It would be nice if mother nature cooperates at least a little...
    Crappie Kid, Were coming to Rathbun on Tuesday, lets hope for no rain!