Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Removing marine carpet and residue

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Removing marine carpet and residue

Here's the deal! A few years ago I let a carpet guy talk me into installing the latest and greatest (his words) marine carpet rather than the astro-turf type carpet I had used before. This stuff is plush but very "fuzzy" and won't let go of a hook or piece of trash/dirt. It is impossible to keep clean and stuff like catfish slime tends to be there for eternity. In other words, I'm sick of the stuff! I'm rearranging my side-by-side pedestal bases on the bow to accommodate some new electronics, rod holders, etc. I plan on just putting down the rubberized coating like is used in many of the new camo boats or truck beds. I want to just start with the front deck and see how I like it before ripping out the entire inside of my 1860 aluminum boat. Could anyone recommend how to get this carpet loose and get the residue off? After fighting with it for an hour tonight, I'm about ready to take gasoline and burn the stuff off! (Not really but the thought did occur in a fit of rage)
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

get you a scraper like you use for tile at lowes it is hand held and it has interchangeable razor type blade then use a wire whell on a drill it will take some time
    The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

Post Thanks / Like

Lowe's has just what you're looking for. I used it myself back last summer on my own boat during "remodeling". I don't remember the name of it, but it's a glue remover. You paint it on, let it sit awhile, scrape it off. It will be in the paint remover/thinner/etc. area. Comes in a paint-style can.

CAUTION: It WILL take paint off at the same time when you scrape it. It didn't bother me as I was repainting too. Just be aware

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

4" razor floor and wall scraper, solvent to soften the glue ( I always used weldwood contact cement) , and this remover looks to have promise. Lift a corner and start with the razor scraper, lift and scrape. Every time I pulled out what I could, then went after what was left it was a genuine ordeal. Keep in mind that you are using a razor, and muscles that aren't used to doing this. Fatigued muscles make mistakes, so please be extra careful and take breaks when you feel the need. Time will be a big part of this.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

I got the wifes blow drier out heated the carpet and started at one corner and heat pull heat pull, so if someone suggest that, dont listen it sucked, wish I could help

Post Thanks / Like

the fastest way i found to remove it.Was to use a wire wheel on a grinder.Just be sure to wear proper protection .drills tend to burn up after hard use. they are avable at most welding shops or napa. be careful around edges and things you dont want removed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Acetone

Acetone will soften the glue and you can scrape it up with a putty knife. Learned this trick from a buddy of mine who does boat repair. You can actually saturate a piece of marine carpet and pull it up without damaging the carpet. After your repair is made you can re-glue original carpet and nobody will ever know. Only drawback is that Acetone is fairly expensive and be careful when using it because it is highly flammable.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a heat gun with the paint scraper on it if you want to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Scrape the carpet off, leave the glue. your covering it with textured coating (Duraback) anyways. No real need to remove the glue.

It might be easier to replace the wood. Pull the old wood and use it as a templete to cut the new. :D
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!