Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: going to cabela's wednesday...need help on reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default going to cabela's wednesday...need help on reel

hey guys, wednesday i am goin to cabelas. i am for sure getting the Shimano Calisto reel. i am thinking about getting another combo but dont know what to get.

these are the ones i am thinking about:

Cabela's Gold Label Casting Combos

Cabela's -- Daiwa® Exceler® Baitcast Combo

Cabela's Whuppin' Stick Casting Combo

as you can tell, i am going cheaper because i am just starting to get into bass fishin real big. guys, please help me decide.

thanks, pcg12

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie board...may not get much help here.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this SPAM?!?! :p

Post Thanks / Like

Go with the 2nd
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation I tell ya what, pcg12 ...

Quote Originally Posted by pcg12 View Post
    hey guys, wednesday i am goin to cabelas. i am for sure getting the Shimano Calisto reel. i am thinking about getting another combo but dont know what to get.
    these are the ones i am thinking about:
    Cabela's Gold Label Casting Combos
    Cabela's -- Daiwa® Exceler® Baitcast Combo
    Cabela's Whuppin' Stick Casting Combo
    as you can tell, i am going cheaper because i am just starting to get into bass fishin real big. guys, please help me decide.
    thanks, pcg12
    Before you go plunkin down some cash, and being a newbie at Bass fishing to boot .... you might want to consider WHAT method you're going to try, first. You aren't going to find a "all in one" outfit, that'll let you throw crankbaits, worm fish, jig fish, flip/pitch, and use topwater baits. Well, not proficiently, anyway. But, with that said ---

I suggest you stick with the two basic methods ... throwing cranks, & worm fishing ... to start off with. Throwing cranks - get a 6'6"-7ft rod with a fast taper in med to med/hvy action .. and a baitcast reel with 5:2-1 retrieve ratio. For worm fishing - get a 7'-7'6" heavy action rod, and a baitcast reel with the 5:2-1 retrieve ratio or higher. Get what you can afford, now .... because you WILL be upgrading in the future

I don't know who's making Cabela's reels for them, this year .... Cabela's does not make their own reels, they rebrand (outsource) other mfg's reels, by contract ... and that changes from time to time. They could be Pinnacles, Daiwas, Okumas, or something else. They don't make their own rods, either. And, in most cases, combo pkgs skimp on the rod, to keep the price down :o You might be better off, putting your $$ into one GOOD outfit, for now, and seeing if you get to fish often enough (and the outfit performs well, for the use time & method), to warrant getting another outfit.

Also, another idea ... if you have a local independant tackle store, that has used rods/reels on consignment .... you may get a good deal going that way. Just check them out, real close ... and if you have the slightest doubt about them, they seem a bit on the "abused" side, you hear any grinding or clicking noises when turning the handle, or if the reel doesn't work very smoothly .... put it back on the rack

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure Cabela's had that third combo on sale a couple months ago for $29.99. I contacted a friend about it but he decided to go with an Okuma.

Post Thanks / Like

Go with a 5000 Abu Garcia or anything similar(I just picked up another at a Fleamarket for 20$ Recently(5500c,1990's model);It was still in the box,Brand new.Price tag and all-$62.99),Not too expensive;A great "Beginner" baitcaster.Thats what I first threw(When I was 12)Callisto=Garbage.Sure,they work great at first,but after a few trips,It will give you problems.....CrappiePappy is Correct;Put a little more $ aside for quality gear,it wil pay dividends in the long run.I dont purchase "Combos" unless they are NOT on the rack for every little kid to turn the handle on the reel,play swordfight ,or whatever.Most combos I pick up at stores are trashed.This is a Crappie site by the way.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-25-2010 at 03:44 PM.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Guys ....

... the fact that this is a Crappie fishing site, is obvious. It IS the main focus, but, there are also forums for multiple other species ... Crappie anglers that use baitcast reels ... multi-species angler members ... etc. Let's not discriminate or alienate, but be helpful in all questions relating to fishing, regardless of species or equipment. We owe alot to our Bass fishing brothers, and they owe us alot, too.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

We talk about politics and trucks plus about anything else.
    Bass fishing doesn't bother me.

Post Thanks / Like

this has nothing to do with my question, but it has to do with bass fishing.

my buddy and his partner just won 1st place in the IL High School bass fishing super-sectional at Stephan A. Forbes Lake. i would like to congratulate him and his partner. that was his first tournament and his first win.

anyways, thanks for the help.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast