Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Electrical Problem

ed hardin Guest

Default Electrical Problem

I have a 1995 130HP Johnson that the battery will not stay charged. Bought a new battery a couple of weeks ago, still would not stay charged. Took it to the boat dealer on Wednesday, He checked the charging system and the battery said the only thing he found was a loose ground wire on the switch. Went to the lake this afternoon, battery was dead. Checked battery it was 1.5 volts completly dead. I recharged the battery and began to do some checking on my own. I disconnected the positive lead from the battery and using my multimeter checked to see if any current was flowing. I have three leads on the positive post, a large battery cable, a red about 10 ga. wire and a red striped about 16 gage wire. I have a reading of .95 on the 20ma scale on the 10 ga wire with everything turned off. It appears current is flowing.
    Anyone know what the red wire goes to? What do I do next. I've got to get this thing fixed before the spring fling on Saturday.
    Thanks, Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Is the 10Ga wire for your trolling motor? If I remember right, I had a Motor Guide trolling motor that said to always unplug it when not in use as it would draw current. Just a thought?

ed hardin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shellback
    Is the 10Ga wire for your trolling motor? If I remember right, I had a Motor Guide trolling motor that said to always unplug it when not in use as it would draw current. Just a thought?
    the trolling motor is on separate batteries. This is the cranking battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dead Batt.

There obviously is a load on that #10. Without knowing your boat it is hard to say what it does. Is there an on board charger? Trace the wire. It must go somewhere. My best guess would be it powers your acceseories. Disconect it and see what doesn't work, then trouble shoot the circuit by disconnecting loads till the problem disappears. When you find the feed with the load, trace that circuit till the draw is located.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Hello Ed, If you don't get the help you need at this site, Go to www.iboats.com, Clic on forums, Scroll down and clic on Johnson motors and post your question there and a Johnson tec will help you and it's free. You can't beat that. I am sure you will get the help you need so you can make the spring fling and good luck and good fishing! JB

ed hardin Guest

Thanks for the suggestions I will give them a try. Jimmys, the iboats.com looks like a great site for motor problems thanks for putting me on to it.
    Ed

ed hardin Guest

Turns out I found I had a faulty power on/off switch that was letting a small current flow. Replaced the switch, no more current flow. Thanks for the help.
    Ed